I need to stay off Craigslist

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by DavidF, Feb 15, 2018.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

It followed me home....honest!!
    Lol $275.00 it had to.... 20180215_165529.jpg

Red97 likes this.
  2. PatJ

PatJ Silver

LOL
    What is it?

3. DavidF

Ammco 4000 brake lathe. Have all the adapters with it also. Funny thing is it was supposed to be a 1965 plymouth fury LOL

4. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I bought a tire machine a few years ago.

5. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Although we do have craigslist up this way, another site call kijiji.ca has added me in reducing my bank account...lol.

Case in point... Saturday I'm picking up these:
    $_59 (1).JPG $_59.JPG
    Got the 80gal compressor without motor for 150, and the little power hacksaw for 85.

Was looking at a horizontal edge sander as well, but I think I'm going to bail on that one... whew.

6. DavidF

Oh II would be so over that saw!! Nice catch!!

7. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

I've been passively hunting for a power hacksaw for good while now. Most of what I see are considerably larger industrial machines or stuff mid-sized with crazy asking prices.

This little bench top unit is exactly what I wanted. Larger stock I think is better suit for a bandsaw.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Brake lathe??? Yeah, because everyone still turns brake rotors in 2018. o_OHave you bought a rotor lately? I remember the first ones i bought back in the 80's... They were over a hundred bucks a piece. Last ones i bought were 17bucks. Drums are just as cheap unless you are talking for a dump truck!

That power hacksaw is a nice score and if you have a cheap motor for that compressor, ya done good. A 7HP motor is not going to be cheap. https://www.princessauto.com/en/det...nclosed-fan-cooled-electric-motor/A-p8513574e OUCH 9 bills!:eek:

You can always cut that tank up and make a bad ass furnace. Make me one too will ya?

This one is cheaper........https://www.ebay.com/i/252520650412?chn=ps

Speaking of craigslist... How is this? My gut says $1500 will kill it. https://sanangelo.craigslist.org/tls/d/metal-lathe/6475616050.html

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  9. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

No worries... One thing i don't have a lack of is motors. I'll probably use one of my 3ph 208v and run the compressor off a VFD.

Thats a decent lathe... I found this one just the other day:
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1333177344
    It made me sad that i wasn't in the market...lol. A lack of detail in the listing had me excerise my GoogleFu a bit to chase down details. The lathe I linked to is a serious machine in a small package. I let everyone i knew of that might be interest in on it. ...shame

10. DavidF

I get what your saying, and your right in most cases. But the rotors for my diesel are a bit pricey and I tend to fool around with older stuff that parts are not "on the shelf" for. Back in the day I also machined flywheels on these lathes and a few other weird things. Yea I could have done without it, but what the hell, the price was right....

11. OCD

OCD Silver

I agree with that one.
    Not like everyday beaters.

12. Jason

Jason Gold

I'd rather that 1600buck lathe... Looks like a better machine than the import one I found. And it comes with a proper stand. Deals are out there, ya just got to keep looking. Wonder what it would cost me to ship that thing to texas? I have a soft spot for english machinery.

13. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I like that little saw Vibert showed. Compact and solid. The clamp mechanism looks awesome, not flimsy like my bandsaw's.
    Pete

14. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

lol... funny you mention your "flimsy" bandsaw. My bandsaw is a big old pos that I bought off my old shift partner after he decided to retire and downsize. Well I was attempting to slice up some 5/8" steel plate this morning and one of the bearing guides fell off.

Was looking at bandsaws on that kijiji site yesterday as well. Might have to look a little harder....lol

15. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

16. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

I did a little road side garbage stealing a long while ago and picked up a well water pressure vessel that has about the same diameter as that compressor tank but not as tall. If I ever decide to make a bigger furnace, that will be the sacrificial tank. ;)

I have been wavering on the compressor tank. I didn't realize how large an 80gal tank was. Just swung by my local PrincessAuto to gauge the footprint of a similar unit, and was about to call the seller and tell him I'm not interested anymore. However...., I messed up and did a little digging on the compressor and based on comparable images on Google, it looks as though the compressor head is a two stage 15cfm and the unit has a max range of 175psi. That's a massive upgrade from my little 15gal 5.5cfm compressor...lol. Not sure how I can pass up the purchase now. Other than the likely potential of pissing off my wife....lol

17. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

18. Jason

Jason Gold

J... I thought that thing might be a 2 stage. They recover a lot faster than a single stage.... But I've never had 4 guys hooked up to mine running da's to warrant a dual stage.
    The 80's are some fat bastards. I admit I do like the shape of the 60's. Tall and small foot print. PLENTY of air for even a plasma cutter if you decide to go down that road.
    Pissing off the wife is never a good idea.

19. Jason

Jason Gold

20. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Talespinner from AA might want to have a look, he was recently bemoaning the cost of new spin casting machines (and the unavailability of used ones) and vulcanizers big enough to make those rubber wheel spincasting molds for pewter recently over on the Reaper Miniatures forum where he shows off his new greens etc. Guys over there kinda pooh-poohed my cheap DIY alternative suggestions, they're more about making and painting tiny incredibly realistic models of real stuff than making actual stuff that really works over there (it's a forum for miniatures hobbyists, so no surprise there). Mind you he was talking about 15K to get set up, this is a lot more than that so maybe he would not be interested after all. Still, looks like this comes with molds and customers, so who knows if it's worth it... Reaper makes (and presumably sells) thousands of pieces a day using similar equipment, so anything's possible.

Jeff