I need to stay off Craigslist

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by DavidF, Feb 15, 2018.

1. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Damn... even the shop shoes!

3. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Well i own the hacksaw. ...but took a pass on the compressor. Just too big for me to bother dealing with. That and you never know how beat to hell the compressor actually is without a motor to spin it up.

Little hacksaw is pretty darn heavy for its size. Seller even through in a handful of blades he now has no use for. :)

4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Goodie boxes are always a bonus!

5. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

6. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Nice lathe..

7. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

I sent him an offer of $1k.... o_O

The Smart&Brown 1024 is a sought after lathe but based on the description and the pics I have to assume the screw cutting gear box is most likely screwed.

At a price of 1k, I can sell my little SB 9A to recoup the funds and still have some spending cash to buy replacement parts...lol. Sad but true...

Edit: Well I've got him down from 2500 to 1600...lol God help me... Still working on it ;)

ReEdit: Looks like the seller had a full asking offer by someone either more confident than me or fool hearty with walking into a nightmare. Probably a saving grace on my end....lol

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  8. DavidF

I really really need to stay off craigslist, i just bought a sewing machine!!
    No i haven't been drinking either....

9. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Lol... Pics or it didn't happen :)

10. DavidF

Picking up on Saturday, will post Pic's once i lug it upstairs.

11. DavidF

Hmm, do have this picture he sent me..
    received_1803586329671679.jpeg

12. Jason

Jason Gold

So what's the plan there Betsy Ross???????????

13. DavidF

Been wanting to do some auto upholstery (learn to anyways) on my cars and get my old drag boat back together. Havent run it since it tried killing me for the 3rd time... Whooha!! Last one was a doosie!! six foot crack in the hull and bent the windshield frame, thats what happens when you try running them on land :confused::confused::rolleyes:

14. Jason

Jason Gold

Don't tell anyone.. I sew better than my wife. Heavy duty old school machines that can sew leather and thick vinyls are hard to find.

15. I reupholstered the upright half of the bench seat on my Hilux 1 tonne ute, it was a steep learning curve to start with. I borrowed my friend's industrial sewing machine which is identical to a Youtube guy's machine "Cechaflo" who does a lot of car seat demo vids on youtube: He doesn't mention he has a special "Piping" foot on his machine, that it's running at half normal speed and that he does half size demo seats that are much easier to do. Once that was taken into account I was able unpick the old vinyl and use it for a pattern to cut the new vinyl and sew a good looking vinyl bench seat minus the piping along the edges and install it on the seat frame with cable ties instead of the crimped wire circles. I used a lot of spray glue to stick the foam sheet on the back of the vinyl before sewing or it bunches up a lot. It's well worth doing and a lot cheaper than the professionals.

16. Petee716

This is quite a coincidence. I just made a deal with my ex wife to buy an industrial sewing machine from her for $250. She works for a place that makes canvas and vinyl products and had bought it several years ago to do overflow work at home (which never materialized). I print banners on various vinyl materials and throw away 54" wide roll ends sometimes 10ft long or more. Although the material is relatively cheap and the waste is pretty much part of the cost of doing business, a lot of my stuff at home lives outside and the vinyl sheets make pretty good covers. Appropriately fitted covers for items in my workshop will be a plus too. The vinyl will last almost indefinitely inside, and at least several years outdoors until the UV takes its toll.
    Just one more thing to burden my kids with when I croak. Lol

Pete

17. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Amen to that...lol. Before I fully cross over after my death I plan on sticking around just long enough to watch my offspring dig through the mountain of 'crap' I'll have accumulated. :)

18. Petee716

Although theyll find a few gems, most of it will undoubtedly end up in a dumpster (if they're smart). Ive been to many auctions where someone obviously just pulled the old boy's toolbox off the bench and loaded it on the truck. Dirt, broken drill bits, old candy bars and all!.

19. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Not craigslist but everytime I visit my parents I'm put in plain site of stuff they want me take/sell/use! Two complete 1936 350cc velocette engines and an Aerial 500cc engine appeared last time and that is just the tip of the iceberg!

20. Red97

Red97 Copper

Going through that currently with my late grandpas estate.

Man he gathered A LOT of stuff over the last 70+ years... house,garage and 3 pole barns full.

Sell it before you are gone, save everyone a lot of grief