Is there a reason I have to login all the time?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Melterskelter, May 17, 2020.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

It seems like the interval of time from one login to the next on the forum has decreased dramatically. Perhaps this is intentional and necessary and maybe it is simply related to a software update or something I have done on my end. Any clues?

Denis

2. rocco

rocco Silver

Maybe you have the "Stay logged in" box un-checked like this?

login.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  3. Melterskelter

Not the answer, unfortunately. I always check it.

Denis

4. Could be your browser cookie expiration date.

_Jason and Jason like this.
  5. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I only ever have to log in if I clear my cache.

6. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

How long does it take before you are logged out??

7. Jason

Jason Gold

At least you're not stuck clicking sidewalks, stop lights or fire hydrants. I can't get within 10feet of anything google without playing tic tac toe with these idiots.
    (gotta be my vpn I think)

8. Melterskelter

I’ll have try to time it. But maybe a half hour to hour? Used to be much longer like maybe a few days.

9. DavidF

How's it now???

10. Melterskelter

More better!

11. I find following a link embedded in a forum post to another posting elsewhere in the forum logs me out and I then can't view full size images in the post.

12. DavidF

Do you have cookies enabled on your computer??

13. I've turned off the ad blocker and allowed cookies for the site. I'll try it out and see how it goes.

14. Jason

Jason Gold

I can run the ABP ad blocker and allow cookies here. Working good on my end... fingers crossed.

15. I'm using ABP blocker too, I whitelisted the forum on Ad Block Pro and enabled cookies for "forums.thehomefoundry.org" in Firefox. I restarted the browser and went back to this forum where I'm always logged in, if I click on the link to Tobho's furnace build embedded into his signature at the bottom of all his postings, I'm logged out of the forum, pretty much as always.

16. Jason

Jason Gold

That's really weird Mark. I tried Jeff's link and I'm still logged in. His is an internal link, what about an external like my link to youtube in my signature?

17. Well your external Youtube link just opens another tab window to your YouTube channel and I'm still logged in on the original tab. It's only following internal links to another post on the forum logs me out and going back a page will show me still logged in.

18. Jason

Jason Gold

are you running firefox?

19. yes

20. OMM

OMM Silver

Sometimes it is the site, sometimes it's on your end. I have one site that I frequent 2-20 times a day. If there is no activity for 120 minutes, a push for a new login is required. Some sites need this. I think my banking site and my PayPal have less than 10 minutes.

Newer computers and phones with thumb print and facial recognition can store quick password recovery for a particular website.