Junk air fittin's

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Jason, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Am I the only SOB that finds today's air hose fittings suck major ass? I've tried everyone's compressed fittings. You name it, Blowes, HD, HF, TSC... Brass, silver ones..... I've been hit in the head with a flying hose that just disconnects from air tools for no reason other than it can. I've bought them all and frankly I've had it. Well, the red rape truck drove up to the hanger this week and I said, "Give it to me DRY and SIDEWAYS!"

As luck would have it, he happened to have Prevost air fittings on the truck. Anyone try these yet? 1 chuck and 4 fittings ran about 40bucks. I'm at the point I don't care what it costs, I just can't take the leaks and flying air hoses any more.
    20181104_203938.jpg

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I learned the hard way that they have different length nipples on them for different applications-for seemingly no good reason- but I agree, they can be hit and miss even when you have the right sizes. It looks like you found the good ones.

Pete

3. Jason

Jason Gold

I dont know why some have the shorter fatter connectors. More like a hydro fitting. I'll put these prevosts in use and report back my findings.

Look, Thats me in this video dodging a flying air hose!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  4. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I made the mistake of putting some nasty chinese fittings on all my air tools and hoses and now I'm stuck with them. Can't bear throwing stuff out. The only decent pair on my system is on the tank and main hose and it's circa 1960 and quarter twist to disengage, not even made anymore as far as I can tell.

5. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

I've had the same issues. Fortunately I primarily use compressed air for testing water & gas piping. It's still annoying.

The "mechanic" in that video is wearing disgustingly clean coveralls. He does not get to work on my vehicles.

Jason likes this.
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

So I guess I'd get the green light from you? lol
    This was after 2weeks of straight 12-16hr days wrenching on the plane.

20181105_192156.jpg

7. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I've used these Milton M-style couplers for 30 years and had good luck with them on most all of my stuff. They are inexpensive and made in US. Years ago I started using them because they were what the local Fleet and Farm store carried. I've worn a couple of the the very high use valved couplers out but that's about it. I've stuck with them. -Just don't mix and match brands or styles.

More recently I started using the G-style chucks where higher flow is required. The M styles are about $4 for the valved couplers. The larger G style are $12. The male plugs are $2 and $4 respectively.

Milton Couplers.jpg

Best,
    Kelly

8. Jason

Jason Gold

I just threw a hand full of milton M styles in the trash. Those are the ones that have been haunting me for years.

I hooked up the new prevost stuff last night and swapped all the fittings on the tools, so far they are they are the cats ass. Push the button, it dumps the pressure
    and retains the fitting until you pull it out. Fingers crossed.

9. Al2O3

Hmmm. Wonder why? I've never had a single problem with them.

Best,
    K

10. Jason

Jason Gold

I'm sure my "miltons" came from offshore. I think today the word Milton is the same as saying Victor when it comes to torch sets. These two have become synonymous with a certain design and not so much as about the actual maker anymore.
    I like the larger cfms of the G style, but hate the size. These provost fittings come in a handful of specs. M, G, Euro, and a few more. I didn't know there was so many styles. Who knew.

11. Al2O3

I suppose it's like everything else. The fast followers copy other manufacturers products but the copies aren't always all they're supposed to be. I see Milton has those push-button style couplers too. I only use the G-Style couplers for the high flow stuff.....too bulky and unneeded expense otherwise. My 1/2" ID hose reel is massive. On leakers, try a drop of 10wt oil occasionally on the male plug. It keeps the O-rings in the couplers lubed up .

Best,
    Kelly