Kiln PID Controller retrofit?

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Zapins, May 25, 2018.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

This is the kiln I have:
    20160703_201551.jpg

3. joe yard

joe yard Silver

Not very hard at all. It will be all on the net but I will be happy to help.
    You can save around $120 of that $150 price tag if you buy from AliExpres although it might take a month or more to arrive.
    Joe

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  4. I've upgraded four using the fake REX P100 model controllers ($15). The thermocouple with the fat leads pictured in your ad is a lot more rugged than the ones with the braided stainless covering over the wire and the threaded stainless sheath: the wire in those is hair fine and fatigues/breaks readily. Youtuber Bigclive has a tear down and analysis of those cheap solid state relays, I haven't used them so I can't comment on them. All in all you end up with upgraded performance over the older controllers.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

Fake 15buck controller??? That's got my name all over it. Point the way brother!

6. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

When you do it, wire it all into a box with an outlet that the kiln can plug into. That way if you needed it for something else you can unplug the kiln and plug ?? Into it...

7. Jason

Jason Gold

that's ANOTHER good idea.. You are on a roll! Must be those wheaties.

I've got the cat piss kiln also and it would be nice to regulate my 1700 for shells.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Well these are shit. Would a mechanical relay be a safer way to roll? We are talking about switching a true 25amps after all?

9. Jason

Jason Gold

10. DavidF

I dont trust ss relays. I use an old school contactor with a delay timer on it.

11. I switch 40 amps with my SSR home made kiln controller. My big kiln draws 30 amps and I popped one SSR trying to start it cold. Inrush is high. After learning that I've done several bakeouts with it although I bought spares. When the SSR fails it may fail closed so you need to make sure you've got over temperature protection in the event it locks down in the on position.

12. Jason

Jason Gold

I have a bag full of AC contractors and a few timers.. Dave, what do you use for a delay?? 5seconds?

Andy confirms my fears... or is it tears?

13. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I bought 80a SSRs for my electric furnace cuz they were only a few bucks more. I thought I would run all 32a through them but with two coils it was only 16a a piece. 300hrs of operation and no problems. If you are running a furnace, a regular contactor is fine because it's always on until set point and almost all the time is warm up. If you are trying to control temp to set point, a time delay helps a lot to keep the contactor from chattering around the set point.....as long as you don't mind a little hysteresis. An SSR is a good device but some of the imports are suspect......thus my conservatism.

Best,
    Kelly

Jason likes this.
  14. I don't know if you need a time delay. The little cheap PID's are pretty sophisticated and have built in fuzzy logic. They will learn the response time of your system and will adapt accordingly. It is fun to watch them learn, actually. When I was setting mine up I was using my fingers to heat the thermocouple and had it set to 75F. It soon learned when to tell me to let go so it wouldn't overshoot.

15. DavidF

I honestly dont remember... Been so long since I looked at it. If it aint broke dont fix it lol

16. Jason

Jason Gold

Mark, will that one do ramp and soak stuff?
    I need those to be able to effectively anneal glass.

thanks

17. No, it's just a basic temp controller that will hold a set temp, I'd love to get some cheap ramp-soak controllers. You may be able to run a couple of them to get something closer to a ramp-soak controller.

18. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Refresh my memory Mark, how do you do that? I have a couple of those too.

I also have a couple ramp and soak controllers. XMTG-8000. It was an eBay thing and I paid $10 for them and have one on my big furnace right now. They are 30 step. Programming is fairly straight forward for simple temp step programs. They were supposed to be degrees F default but are degrees C. I have found a manual online for that specific model but I've used this manual for reference and most features are the same. I think section 5.3.8 that limits the range of the high and low temp inputs could range the range but I have found the feature for units of measure C/F.

https://www.auberins.com/images/Manual/SYL-2352P Manual.pdf

Best,
    Kelly