Kwiky burner with a twist

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by OMM, May 22, 2019.

1. OMM

OMM Silver

Pete, you got me running for testing! Thanks, I’m glad you did. I ran it up to 80 CFM, no whistling. At 60+ CFM there was a really weird hissing sound though. But... I plan on running it at about 40 CFM or less.

2. I inadvertently built an air raid siren while making my blower: it took a shallow angled fixed blade for the impellor to spin past to fix it (mostly).

3. OMM

OMM Silver

I had the same problem with my blower in my woodworking shop. I made it from scratch. Then I made the blades backwards inclined. This reduce the noise tremendously.
    It is 4 inches deep with the radial blades and 17 1/4 inches diameter. It has 1 1/4 prop blade 9 inches in diameter entering into the 9 inch duck work. It pulls almost 21 inches of water column in it’s closed state, and 2100 CFM in open on 6 inch diameter duct. It definitely could move more air. But I had to choke it using 6 inch diameter pipe to keep my amperage down. The motor is rated for 23 A and I have it running at fulltilt at 19 amps. When it starts it pulls almost 120 Amps. It is a 5 hp dust collector.

The cyclone and blower housing I made from Bill Pentz design.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I thought I might have come off as a bit defeatist. I'm glad you didn't take it that way. (But don't be surprised if it makes the neighborhood dogs act weird!lol!)

Pete

OMM likes this.
  5. I think it's the backwards inclined involute curve that's the quietest and most efficient blade curve. I often wonder how a large diameter (better centrifuging of the air) turbo compressor would perform when driven by an electric motor at low RPM. Turbos require a large amount of energy to drive, fortunately the hot exhaust has that energy.

I wonder what a high frequency microphone and an oscilloscope would show of the 60+ CFM hissing.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  6. OMM

OMM Silver

I haven’t tried out the final burner yet. But I’m almost absolutely sure it will work just fine. If it doesn’t, I might have to pinch down the tip of the burn tube a bit. But...... In reality there is actually no burn tube.

I found I was limited with controlling air. So I increased the ID from .322”( with one copper wire 0.062“ dia. spin vein) to 1/2 ID (with 2 SS spin veins 0.031x0.125). Everything all calculated in, I should be able to increase the air CFM by over 300%. I can always dial it back using the board air ball valve.

I also tried to get rid of as many 90° corners as possible.

Every torch had its different,... its own personality.

I didn’t test them all to the same state vigorously... maybe I’ll venture that in the future but that’s not my goal!

Here is the evolution...

1354D0A9-6211-4F1B-92AF-3FAAAF5227FF.jpeg
    92E324BE-6913-4C95-BE0A-BCA1EBA6EA22.jpeg

And the prototype thimble for adjusting the Bernoulli effect. This one was just press fit into a copper sleeve.

E5843159-D1B5-4BF9-A316-287852F5F7D5.jpeg

I owe a big thanks to a lot of you guys here.

I wanted something simple and small, with very few parts and easily replaceable. I wanted something that could be portable, run off my air turbine... with only 120 V feed. Yes..., I’ve upped the ante so my Main shop could provide the air feed required with a A blower literally 10 times the size with 1000 times the life expectancy.

I think I got what I was in search of. Thanks guys, and yes it’s time to start melting metal!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Gippeto and Tobho Mott like this.
  7. OMM

OMM Silver

I forgot to show the water testing. I was making homemade snow.