Kwiky burner with a twist

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by OMM, May 22, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

I had those little red handle valves before on my kwiky and they were utter crap for fluid control. I still have one haunting me, but it's just the on/off for my air. For my fuel on/off, I've got the non gas version of your yellow valve with a red handle. They've been fine. As you know, I have those uber high dollar stainless needle valves in addition to on/off ball valves. The slick part about having them is each run, I've already got a pretty damn close baseline for fuel tuning. :p:p:p:p:p With just the ball valves, it was like starting all over each time. :(;)

Your rig is fancy schmancy looking. Looks expensive. Should impress the ladies when you show them your nozzle.:confused: lol

2. OMM

OMM Silver

Ahhh come on jason. Sure she might need some tweaks here and there. This video is for you.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Jason likes this.
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

hmmm.. looking good. I didnt understand why you showed it running with gravity as the motive force before adding the compressed air. The trouble with gravity is as the fluid level gets lower, your mixture changes. Which of course is why compressed air is required on the kwiky. It maintains mixture. by regulating fuel draw. savvy? Your blown air from your very loud vacuum looks good. I'm not sure about your add on venturi. Every one I've seen installed causes what you got on yours. That's pooling on the downwind side of it. When I had my issue of it not wanting to run on 100% used oil, it was caused by pooling in the burner tube, mostly because I didnt get the nozzle right up to the hot face. Atomizing the oil is not a requirement to burn it. You can literally piss it from across the street and it should burn if the furnace is hot enough. Looks like you already see what I'm talking about when you say the venturi worked better flush with the nozzle end. So goes the game.. Feed that sucker diesel and let's light up your neighborhood!

4. OMM

OMM Silver

I figured with syphon gravity feed the pressure would always remain the same and maintain mixture. I’m going to work on that pooling problem a bit more.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

It should if the change in gravity head pressure doesn't vary much during fuel usage. Gravity only, not a chance. ;) We will never escape compressed air with this burner design. Doesn't bother me a bit. I've got compressed air for days. I cannot understand having any kind of shop without a decent compressed air source. It's mandatory.:D

6. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

It looked like your blower did a pretty fair job of atomizing the water on its own.

Pete

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Pete is right.. That blower did very well breaking up the stream... But it still has to have the compressed air to move the fuel at an even, measurable and controllable quantity. One thing is for certain, it's going to be a hot bastard. Iron should be no problem that's for sure.

Edit: where is Richard? He hangs oil off his roof, that guy has done this. I spend my life fighting gravity. Pull back, houses get smaller.. Push forward, houses get bigger.:oops:

8. OMM

OMM Silver

One thing is for sure, The blower is creating a bit of a vacuum affect. I’m not sure if it is enough to syphon enough inches of water column to even be considered. As Jason already pointed out the little bit of pooling in the burn tube. That pooling is a result of negative pressure trapping the water in that small area.

The bottom line is I think I am about 90% to my goal. If that blower is delivering enough CFM and atomizing the fuel efficiently, I can probably start the whole process with out an air compressor(Or maybe very small air compressor).

I could always trim the pipe back a wee bit or add a spiral vein to the outside of the brass Venturi to pick up some of the combustible air and alleviate the negative pressure that traps that pool.

Jason likes this.
  9. Jason

Jason Gold

I think you are real close too.. LIGHT IT!

10. Looks pretty good! How much water were you running through it under pressure?

Have you measured the discharge pressure of the blower to confirm it is operating within it's range?

Yeah, we need to see some fire.

11. OMM

OMM Silver

That’s tomorrow. I picked up six dollars worth of diesel today add $1.14 a litre. And I picked up five 2000°C fire bricks, that also ran me $12. I asked the lady selling me the brick if these don’t handle fire can I return them. She said no problem, (then laughed) saying she’s never had faulty fire bricks returned.

12. OMM

OMM Silver

With the compressed air at 20 PSI, it would empty a 1 L container just under two minutes (without the turbine blower on). I did not check to see if the turbine increased water flow through vacuum affect. I might check that tomorrow too.

When I moved the Venturi back it, compressed the air more and there was a noticeable louder free spin in the turbine compressor. I definitely choked or restricted the full potential of the compressors output. By how much, I don’t know. It definitely started atomizing the water better with a restriction of the free-flowing air.

13. 30L an hour is plenty! All you need is enough combustion air. Hope you get to burn it tomorrow.

14. OMM

OMM Silver

The funny thing is, today well playing with the this.... I started thinking....where would be the best place to add a propane entrance.... and would the open (non turbine hose attachment) ball valve support enough combustible air.

The only place I was thinking is in the cast iron 1” to 1/2” cast-iron coupling to keep everything kosher.

Today I also welded up the little T handle to adjust the fluid control nozzle tip. Sorry about my crappy welding job. I’m not a welder by any means. Please be gentle.
    C12E3E55-907D-4A26-839D-1DE873F7B571.jpeg

D2964DBB-0870-4DC6-9AE5-88E837EA081E.jpeg

15. You could put propane into the fuel line. The 0.6" ball valve likely would not allow enough air to be aspirated but you don't know until you try.

16. OMM

OMM Silver

There is also the other 0.055” opening in the end of the plug, that if I left the two red ball valves open and the air compressor needle valve which that orifice is 0.025”, They might have some vacuum... and create some interior torch oxygen cone.... maybe I’m just thinking out loud.

Let’s please keep in mind, the smallest restriction on the combustible air side is the .510” quick connect, mind you, this could be spun off with one finger and and thumb.

17. Jason

Jason Gold

Propane? That's blasphemy. This is a kwiky! While it would probably burn cat piss, light it straight on diesel and save your dough. Even better, visit your local mom and pop operator at the airport. Ask if you can have or purchase REAL cheap their jet-a sump fuel. By law, they have to drain every day a few gallons and will be happy to get rid of it. My FBO is drowning in the stuff. I bet I've got 50gallons of it around my place.:eek: I really need an old Mercedes diesel.:oops:

18. OMM

OMM Silver

Happy Friday everyone.

19. Jason

Jason Gold

So did it light right off on diesel?

20. OMM

OMM Silver

Ya. 15 psi from the air compressor. It did go out twice, trying to start it and adding too much combustible air too fast.

I didn’t even try to light it with out the pressurized air. Once it got hot I figured that would be cheating. I’m going to let it cool down a bit and try to light it without the air compressor.