Kwiky burner with a twist

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by OMM, May 22, 2019.

1. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Thanks!

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Never had a clog on my kwiky.. The only thing I do to my sump fuel is pour it through a tea strainer laying in the bottom of my funnel... Same for my oil. That I strain a couple of times as it gets moved from barrel to jug, jug to fuel tank. The stand pipe sits about 2inches up off the bottom of the floor of my tanks and I refuel when they hit half way or a little less. Airplane fuel tanks are surprisingly SPOTLESS. If you have crud in the bottom of an airplane fuel tank, you have bigger problems like sealant failure.:eek:

3. OMM

OMM Silver

The thing about the Kwiki’s design is there is not very many fuel restrictions. The compressed air only has the tight restriction.

I’m on my second trail with reversing the Kwicky’s fuel air and it is not very promising as the air is moving about the same speed as the fuel.

My next test is to go back to the kwiky design and get rid of the Mig tip.

I wish I had videoed my failures.

My next test is using 1/4 copper pipe for air delivery inside quarter inch pipe

The kwiky’s lazy fuel delivery design, it is not very prone to clogging.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  4. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

OMM,

Would you mind updating us on your goals in this quest? Is the main goal to make a burning with a small OD?

Denis

5. OMM

OMM Silver

My dream goal is a drip nozzle that maybe gets syphoned and atomized by the combustion air. Yes, it would be nice to have this all packed inside of half inch black iron pipe about 8 inches long. Something simple that would be easy to reproduce quickly.

Today I’ve had some pretty good success using just water through a quarter inch copper pipe and the combustion air through a quarter inch copper pipe where they come together at a 30°-ish angle.

6. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I see. It is a challenge to dream up a new device that is quite different from existing "art" rather than a tweak or make a slight improvement on known good performers.

Denis

7. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Maybe a new discovery or just a lesson learned or maybe both. This is how its done!

Pete

8. OMM

OMM Silver

Thanks Pete.

I had a little bit of a great discovery today... (I have a good buddy Brian, who keeps telling me, if your dreams are not scaring you, (or pushing you) you’re not dreaming big enough).

I don’t know what the drip guys are using for delivery.... but I found Mig Tips require too much pressure to achieve a good constant slow flow. They are a high-pressure piss stream. I also found quarter-inch waterline to be too slow of a drip at 3 gallons per hour. I’ve been testing using water and trying to be able to adjust everything from 5 gallons per hour down word.

I’ve now gone down to 3/16 OD (1/8 ID) Break-line for the drip feed. This inside 1/8 NPT 6” nipple works amazing with combustion air to atomize. I’m going to put that 1/8 NPT nipple inside a 3/8 nipple and add more combustion air between those two. I think this will hit the mark.

I’ve had some pretty bad fails drilling and tapping hydraulic fittings and matching them up with pipe threads and machine thread’s. This is 3 pipes.... all aligned centrally within each other.

My dream was to get us all and a half inch pipe. But I think I might be able to get this all in a 3/8 pipe.

And if all works well, but I’m short on BTU, I’m OK with putting two burners in... if need be.

I’ll cross that bridge.

This is my progress so far.
    BEA9C0DC-58CC-4175-83AF-F85CC129669E.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  9. I've been using a brake line from day one. It works well for me. Seemed to be the simplest drip I could come up with but I'm using a leaf blower for air and want a large air tube. So I didn't have to do any machining or drilling, just weld the 90 fitting for oil into the side of the air tube. My brake line is held in with a standard brake compression nut into the ell and if I ever need to change it I just have to make a 14" long deep socket for the 1/2" hex. Mine is long to get back from the heat and give my propane option plenty of distance to mix.

10. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

My Moya and More-ya (the giant moya burner needs a better name) drip burners use the tubes from inside ugly old thrift store lamps. An idea I got from OddDuck in Moya's Hall of Fame thread on AlloyAvenue. The tubes that used to have the lamps' electrical cords running through them. They're cheap and they work well and they are easy to hook up to a quick connect fitting with a cheap plumbing aisle 1/4 - 1/8 reducer using the existing threads. And as a bonus, every new burner reduces the number of ugly unwanted table lamps hanging around in the world. :D

Jeff

Jason likes this.
  11. OMM

OMM Silver

It’s finished. I’m going to add a couple ball valves and a manifold. I’ll put the two head to head. 88719945-4184-46E3-808E-F124957D40B6.jpeg 00A07B06-29ED-49A3-A6C9-9D161A6D6781.jpeg

I did find (during my testing) the drip tube worked best and clean when it was out front.
    4A8DE5F6-51A4-434D-9B3F-D8165880F8D2.jpeg

Tobho Mott and Jason like this.
  12. Jason

Jason Gold

Looks good Matt. Let's melt some metal! I'm dying to see what kind of cool stuff you cast.

13. OMM

OMM Silver

Tip to toe the burner is just under 13 inches with all the ball valves . I’m adding no pressure regulator display to this reverse Kwiki. I wanted no rubber until the hose fitting. I will test open flame tomorrow. Then... I’m waiting on the brick.
    6EB9B33D-4E23-444C-A5DC-A89FA987D36D.jpeg

1D0A327D-114F-4A5D-83EF-3FAB0CB4EB2D.jpeg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  14. OMM

OMM Silver

Basically this burner I can slow down to about one drip per second and a maximum of 33 L per hour. In this video, I have the fuel set at 2 L per hour and the combustible/atomized air barely cracked open.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  15. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

It may behave quite differently in a furnace with a crucible.....wont know until you get there.

Best,
    Kelly

Jason likes this.
  16. Jason

Jason Gold

Yup! Things change in a new york minute in a furnace when the lid gets closed. I start out pretty powerful like this and before I close the lid, then I lay the air to it. I find out real quick when it gets closed how mine was adjusted. It's pretty much dialed in these days and no more white mushroom clouds from my driveway when it flames out!:eek:

17. OMM

OMM Silver

Kelly and Jason. I am sure you are both 100% correct. Weird shít happens when inside the furnace. My next test is going to make it a sub stainable torch without the brick. I see Jason does this. He first lights the nozzle using propane blowtorch and then puts the nozzle into the furnace. I have not tried this yet, but I would like to achieve it.

I do part time maintenance (on call) at a commercial strip Plaza store. Two units up they have a fry oil tank outback. Today I noticed it was leaking and tire tracks through the back parking lot. I went over and talk to the owner to see if she is willing to get pick up. She kind of explained she gets paid for the recycled oil, But the tank is leaking right now and they are one day behind on their oil fryer replacement oil. I dropped off 2=>5 gallon bucket‘s. She explained normally she gets paid, but they are in a bit of a pinch. Being a little bit relentless, I went six doors down and they also have a oil tank outback. I stopped in and visited them. They told me they recycle about 8 gallons a week and it is free for my taking. The owner there said they would like to support The arts/trades. One company recycles 5 gallons a week and the other one 8 gallons a week. Wow, another man’s garbage is another man’s gold.

18. Jason

Jason Gold

Sounds like it's time for a 55gallon barrel at home. If you are running french fry oil, all your neighbors are going to be hungry when they smell that sucker melting metal. I get all the used motor oil I can haul off. Same for sump fuel. If I took everything they need to get rid of, I'd be drowning in jet fuel and avgas. I've been tempted to cut the cat off my old nissan beater and start running avgas because it's free. I'm pretty cheap, but I'm not THAT cheap. :oops:

19. OMM

OMM Silver

@Jason , I have already put out my feelers for a 55 gallon drum (semi transparent). I am also looking for one of those old-style and pumps that screw into the top of the Drum.

20. Jason

Jason Gold

I got my hand crank pump at horrible freight. Check your princess auto, bet they sell em.