Kwiky burner with a twist

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by OMM, May 22, 2019.

1. OMM

OMM Silver

2. Jason

Jason Gold

3. OMM

OMM Silver

If my feelers don’t come back on the 55 gallon drum I am OK with 5 gallon bucket‘s, I can get them (with lid) for free with a little bit of hydraulic fluid left in the bottom.

4. OMM

OMM Silver

5. Jason

Jason Gold

I can get my hands on a truckload of new ones... But I doubt you want to pay for the shipping even for one!

6. Jason

Jason Gold

7. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

There was a guy around here (outside Ottawa) selling clean used 55g barrels that used to contain honey. He had steel and plastic. What part of Ontario are you in? I've got an extra steel one I could part with. (And half of a plastic one cut lengthwise for whatever that's worth - the other half is now the sand bin in my molding bench) If you're not near here, I'm sure they are around locally if you do a bit of hunting. Before finding the honey guy I got a couple steel ones from a couple of different scrap yards (one had plastic too), but the closer place to here is now closed down.

Jeff

8. Local cleaning supply shops round here have $10 plastic 55 gallon drums used to store liquid bleach/chlorine......hang on...you'd have to rinse it well to prevent an hypergolic oil-oxidizer fire :eek:. The local oil depot also has a stack for $10 a drum too.

9. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I've burned fryer oil in the past and may do it again at some point but for now I'm into waste motor oil. The restaurants I've found get their oil in soft plastic containers inside of a cardboard box. They utilize the box for pouring and draining inside the building and then dump them into their tanks outside.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=coo...ECAwQAg&biw=1024&bih=672#imgrc=Hoi4ixwollIteM

If you can get them like this in good condition with frequency it would probably be easier and less messy than a drum. Then too if you get hit by a bus your survivors won't have to f with a mystery drum.

Pete

OMM and Jason like this.
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

lol... Good point. A 55gallon barrel is a PITA even when it's just half full. My FBO uses these awesome 5gallon plastic containers that contained prist a jet fuel additive that prevents fuel icing. They dump their sump fuel in those and that's how I store jet fuel. These are tough jugs with a great handle on them. https://www.skygeek.com/prist-44637...MI_drZj8vL4wIVRdbACh3mlgPPEAQYAiABEgLcgPD_BwE

Most FBO's are usually sitting on a crap ton of these and will gladly give them away super cheap full of useless (for airplanes) fuel.

11. OMM

OMM Silver

I picked up the eight day old Fry oil today. Just over 6 gallons. The filtering it is a little bit of a pain in the ass. i’m on my second filter. The first one was just through the wire mesh sifting screen and the second one through a paper towel and sifting screen. About every half gallon I have to swap out the paper towels. The paper towel seems to be pulling out maybe the white animal fat.... At least Iron Man is keeping a watchful eye over the drip.

I am getting PMs that two towns over, (aboat 20 minute drive each way) I can get blue 55g barrels for $15 cash Canadian.

I guess I could just let it age out the sediment... how are others filtering their oil?

After handling these pails today, I might just put a barrel tap on two of them and drip filter them back and forth. Then feed the torch with one of them until I get situated.

2C87662D-1F6C-4F0D-A20F-517A3F1972AA.jpeg

This is the white stuff I’m talking about. I’m sure most of it will work its way through the 1/8 ID drip feed and will burn really nice aroma. I’m just not sure if it will be all that great in a restrictive valve.
    EC2E2C3E-6DBF-4B54-BCE5-F00DC9358C1F.jpeg

I guess this is where experience matters, when tires hit the asphalt!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  12. Jason

Jason Gold

That's looks nasty. I'd rather deal with dirty motor oil than rotting chicken and fish parts. Hit up the goodwill and clean them outta cheap pantyhose. Tell them you have a strange fetish that involves peanut butter and a dog. :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D

13. OMM

OMM Silver

LOL.

But I think that white stuff is the yummy stuff that gives the fish and chip truck smell Burning. Maybe I don’t want to filter too much of it off! Everybody wants to keep somebody hungry around a good campfire.

14. I use an old cotton bedsheet stretched over a plastic 55 gallon drum, every so often it clogs the cloth so you wipe it with a scraper stick to unclog it. Left overnight it drains pretty well.

15. OMM

OMM Silver

Are you using 800 count or 1000 count Persian bed sheets? Lol.

I think my old bedsheets might be in the 250 count, and well used with a few holes.

But I am adding bedsheets to my strainer Collection, from here on in, regardless of the Count!

Hey,.... My wife just got home from vacation with her aunt. (They saw some of the videos I did well on vacation).... My wife’s aunt said, “it sounds like you got something new happening at home every day to keep things lively... hopefully you don’t need an insurance claim!“

My reply was,… See your aunt is into my weird ****! Lol

Most Women just don’t comprehend the weird fascination of fire (and it’s danger and it’s ability) that man loave... I find it odd that it is a male dominated desire. I wish there was more females in to it!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  16. Jason

Jason Gold

Chicks are into casting... They just prefer it to be yellow with lots of sparkly crap sitting in it. I do try to pour when she's at home. Ya never know when ya might need someone to dial 911.
    This is one hobby where you won't hear the diversity crowd screaming we need more women doing hot, dangerous low paying work. :rolleyes:

Hopefuldave likes this.
  17. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

All the lady metal casters are busy hanging out with Pat at those public iron pour events, that's why you don't see them anywhere else.

Jeff

18. They are from a commercial laundry service for hotels: stiff rough cotton sheets tempered with whatever substances end up on hotel sheets over the years o_O. It lets you put 3+ gallons in at a time and catch with a 5 gallon pail at the bottom of the 55 gallon drum which also catches any spills and overflows. I use a stack of small g clamps or those spring clamps round the rim to secure the sheet.

19. OMM

OMM Silver

The animal fat in the cooking oil burns absolutely amazing! It puts off a little bit more smoke until it gets hot. But the fat is what’s bringing out the nice smell. About 250°F the fat turns to a liquid and around 450°F it starts to get a flame. I pulled out almost 1 gallon of animal fat. The pretty clean oil rendered just under 5 gallons. What’s in a Gatorade bottle got through two wire mesh filters but got trapped in the paper towel. I will let it settle for a little longer and play some more.
    8AB84328-1704-4CE1-8CDA-85185928F402.jpeg

I’ll see what I get on Friday morning from the second restaurant.

20. Jason

Jason Gold

Ya want oil from fried FROG LEGS, it burns hotter....:p