Leave the porch light on for me.

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Jason, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

My God man that should be illegal.

Lotta sprues there. Should cast no problems.

Why round sprues? This is going to be bronze right? I was told by a foundry bronze likes square sprues better than round. Less turbulence or some such.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

That's funny, I read the exact opposite. I've even been called out for my use of square hollow main sprues. The red is round, that's the stuff I bought last year. Man I forgot how nice it is to have a full bucket of B E A U T I F U L suspendaslurry. The stuff is such a pleasure to work with. Hit it with a paddle and go.

1st coat in the bag. The froofoo tree is that almost 3ft tall thing. Like my new drying rack? I get nervous hanging crap when the weight goes up.

20190606_012834.jpg

joe yard likes this.
  3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I do like the new rack. Its so dainty and neat Haha. Interesting way to keep them safe. Is there a slot and nut under the wax? What secures them under the wood?

I used to keep mine on metal spikes upright but they are easy to break and drop if not perfectly balanced. Better to just lay them on a wire rack. That way they can't fall over and break.

I gotta say the slurry I just mixed up is really nice. Works much better than the way I was doing it before. I got a new rigid 9 amp mud mixer drill to mix up the slurry. Doesn't matter that the slurry sediments out over night with that beauty. :)

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah, I can't load my living room up with this crap or the wife will hang me. It's too hot to leave this stuff in the garage. Took me all day to sprue that last part. I had to keep ducking inside the air and cool it back down. I WILL be installing AC in the garage when I change out my unit. I'm still waiting on my old r22 setup to die. Meanwhile, my new equipment is taking up space in the garage. Sad to say, the new stuff will never last as long as HVAC stuff made 20years ago. What a pisspoor world we live in these days.

5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah same with welders. The old ones last forever. My transformer syncrowave is 31++ years and going strong. Try make it to 7 with a inverter type. Planned obsolescence.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

God don't say that. I'm banking on the Italians producing a long lasting tig machine.

7. Peedee

Peedee Silver

If you're using different waxes for the same part does that mean you can't recover/re-use the mixed up wax?

Regarding flares/refinery the biggest explosion we had was when a welder took to a tank that hadn't been steamed, poor SOB. Woke the neighbours up though!

8. Jason

Jason Gold

This one is a bit extreme, but I just press on and it all gets mixed together. I'm sure the brown changes a little, but it's not noticeable...

I take it that welder is no longer with us?:eek:

9. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I just looked a lot and I know you guys try to re-use the wax, inquisitive mind.

Some of that welder may be somewhere near you..... or Alaska... or Norway....

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Here is layer number 5. Had to work today. 6th coat tomorrow and a seal coat. Maybe boil late tomorrow night? Will see. I already lost one skinny long thing, It might get an extra layer. That one has to go through the fire:(

Hey Zap.. no bolt.. they rest in a slot standing on the pouring cups.

20190608_014612.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  11. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hmm scary. Don't you get quakes in cali?

I'd add an extra layer or two to the tall skinny one. The head pressure is going to be around 300 lbs at the bottom of a 2 to 2.5 foot tall mold. You don't want it splitting with only 6.5 coats.

12. Jason

Jason Gold

California? No quakes in west Texas. Good call on the tall beast, I'll add a couple more coats for sure. Dont need this happening again.
    20190504_205441.jpg

13. He got you good, Cali-boy.

14. Jason

Jason Gold

lol.. The only thing I do with that shithole is visit it a few times a year. If it cracked at the fault line and fell in the drink, I'd throw a party. I do like the whistle pig hot dogs ya get downtown LA from the food trucks. Hotdogs, stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon covered in grilled peppers, onions and all the extras. With a coke it's just 3bucks.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  15. Zapins

Zapins Gold

When are you casting it? I'm getting the casting itch of anticipation.

16. Jason

Jason Gold

At this point.. no idea. I was setting up to dewax it tonight and the phone rang. Out the door I went. :( Maybe tomorrow or Tuesday. Gotta try to get it poured this week.

Last coats went on last night. Thickened up the cups today, they always seem to crack on me.:mad:
    20190609_154424.jpg

17. PatJ

PatJ Silver

That looks like something from outer space (the wax stuff).

18. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Im going to try adding a flange to the cup to act as a stiffener band. Should work...

19. Jason

Jason Gold

That's a good idea. My wax is usually smooth on the pour cups. These were roughed up a bit. I think they just dont get coated as thick during shelling. Hopefully this fixed that issue.

20. Jason

Jason Gold

OMFG the weather in Dallas was HAIRY yesterday. You guys see that crane that went over? :eek: When I got to DFW, about 25 planes were parked on the taxiways waiting on gates. After waiting a few hours, I finally was able to head home. Only to be greeted with gusts up to 40. Due to a storm near the field, I came in opposite direction. First time I've flown an approach with a 225kt GROUND SPEED. To make matters worse, during the circle to another runway, I'm on short final and a medi-evac plane decides he's going to pull out in front of me... :mad:
    That's where I better end the story...:oops:

Anyways... Got to run dewax tonight. Learned a big lesson. Gotta remember to watch total height of waxes or get a deeper pot. This pot is 16inches tall and I'd kill for another 4"
    I had to boil within an inch of the top. Doing this needs a rolling boil bigtime. I'm afraid to see what my driveway looks like in daylight..:oops::eek:
    I am happy to report..... ZERO cracks on all three and the cups are solid. That's a first for me. The long skinny thing is going to have to go through the fire. I'll wait until tomorrow, it's going to be a royal pain to secure inverted.:(

Zippie ties and some wood blocks to the rescue.... My little 6dollar burner is a DIAMOND. Look at how close the top of that cup is. :eek:
    20190610_225239.jpg 20190610_234742.jpg 20190611_001219.jpg

It's true, a watched pot (especially when it's 5gallons) never boils. Well, I HAD a clean driveway.:(
    20190610_235302.jpg

All safe and a well deserved Shiner Bock.
    20190611_012303.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.