Leave the porch light on for me.

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Jason, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

That's correct mark. The glass jammed into the recess I made in the bronze. :rolleyes:

I decide to say fck-it and I'm going for broke right now. Whacked up half of sheet of the blue. Cross your fingers for me pal. This thing is about to get flat glass if I cant get this right. Shame, because it looks cool with the bubbled out glass. Very artsy fartsy. Price of this sucker is going up with each failure. Pretty soon I'll be able to buy my pool filtration system with it.:D

Dont mind the steel in there. I had to level this as close as I could. This kiln needs a new shelf.:rolleyes:
    20190625_034041.jpg

Whacky blue.. 670c here I come!
    20190625_034107.jpg

2. What if you assembled a mould out of loose firebrick slices with slightly smaller holes than the bronze frame?, that way the firebrick should be lower expansion than the glass and the slumped glass will be loose on cooling. Or bevel the inside edges of the bronze frame to eliminate the stress risers?.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Good idea about the brick... I did ease the inside edges of the little openings tonight. I think I may be on the right track now..

here is a sneaky peek of it now.
    20190625_042544.jpg

annealing now. Funny how colors change when hot and once cool, they return.

20190625_042549.jpg

Mark's castings likes this.
  4. I have a chunk of synthetic gemstone: Tourmalike, it's pink in sunlight and pale blue in fluorescent light, must be a frequency down-shift crystal for lasers or something.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. Did I crack the mystery??? I didnt crack the glass and it falls right out. Wonder how tricky it will be now to cut this out?

20190625_121451.jpg

20190625_121435.jpg

20190625_121517.jpg

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Man that came out nicely. Looks like candy.

I know people who do stain glass windows scribe a line then use pliers to chip off bits of the glass until it breaks back to the scribed line.

Amazing it doesn't break the entire pane of glass.

7. Jason

Jason Gold

It does look like candy..:D I've been scoring my sheets with a cutter then spitting on the mark. It snaps easily so far. No way I can do that now that its slumped. Ordered a kick azz 10" mk diamond blade for glass work. I gotta do something nice for someone by Thursday. That's when I'll get to try sawing it on the wet saw.:eek::p:oops:

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Scary times. Film it!

9. Jason

Jason Gold

good idea. It's either going work, break or I'll lose a finger.:eek: Might make a good show.:D

10. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Wonder if it will still score and break the same as it did before it was slumped, or if it has a temper to it now....

11. Jason

Jason Gold

I believe it should behave just as before. I ran an annealing schedule. At least as close as I could find. 1hr at 510c and then super slow through 427c. Its 96coe.

12. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Only if there's blood!

I think you should try scoring and breaking off pieces like the window makers do. Tried and true technique used for hundreds of years.

13. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I knew you'd get that glass to behave eventually. Looks great!

Jeff

14. I failed to see what was wrong with the "crap" ones. Light doesn't bypass the glass does it?

15. Jason

Jason Gold

It did on the first green one. The second was good, but I couldnt remove it which would blow up when I weld to the rest. Once these are welded together, slumping through the holes is not an option ever again. If they cut easily, I'll make a spare of each "lens". No two are the same and one will not fit another window. This was done on purpose. I dont want this thing looking like it came off an assembly line in China. Subtle differences add character.;)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    joe yard likes this.
  16. Jason

Jason Gold

Finally got green.

15616026543464407608226773324332.jpg

15616026802606373120153924629689.jpg

Red in the box.
    15616027414927639056461900096705.jpg

17. Jason

Jason Gold

:D:D:D VERY BORING.. Glass would be a good hobby if all you wanted to do was sit on your duff and drink beer. Nothing to do, but watch the clock!
    15616177266375314102095163870883.jpg

An old electric school clock. round and round and round.....:(:(
    1561617846623910015509287031686.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Tobho Mott likes this.
  18. Ok so you've got port and starboard (red and green)....what do you call the blue side? :D

19. Peedee

Peedee Silver

There's a market for all red glass door lanterns..... all blue lanterns denote a polar-opposite proffesion over here.

It may be boring as a process but it's quite fun seeing the reults.

20. Jason

Jason Gold

Now I've spent a fair amount of time in Amsterdam and I saw PLENTY of red lights... But not a blue light.... OH Fk! I just looked that one up... :eek: EWWW...

Still got one more color to go. It's amber and annealing now... If the color sucks, I'll try something else.:( Really wanted a yellow, seems the yellows that Bradstreet glass had kinda sucked. I gotta drop another order anyways, I don't have enough green to make a spare.:oops: Glass is CHEAP. 4"x8" samples run just a couple bucks a piece. No reason not to blast out a spare set while I can. After welding, it's GAME OVER! :p