Lifting tongues and pouring rings.

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by OMM, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Looks like it needs more grippy grip to me for some reason. Might be the angle of the photos.
    You also need a 90degree bar back on the handle somewhere for leverage. When you have a real metal in that pot and not girly aluminum, it's gonna be hard to twist without something to hang onto.

(I like your idea of an adjustable tilting handle. Pretty slick!)

2. OMM

OMM Silver

Jason, I was thinking, I could use my lead hand upright as the tilting handle. Sorry about my bad red hands drawing.

35A41E08-7EA8-482C-AD1D-2A51F46122AD.jpeg

I want to try out first a aluminum pour, before I add the back handle. I’m not sure if 9 inches away from the crucible for the lead hand is to close. I am willing to add a adjustable sliding secondary tilt handle(dark blue).

D735967F-CB4E-4509-A508-15714B665196.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah that might work. Gotta try it and see how it feels. nice drawing. Disney will hire you.

4. OMM

OMM Silver

Lol. I’m glad you can figure out my chicken scratch. Two years ago I would’ve done this on a piece of paper and then photographed it, Sized it and then pasted it. Technology is gotten so easy for us older farts to figure out. Thanks to the millennials that know where the money is!

20 years ago, we did not have the world wide web at our fingertips for sharing or receiving.

As an educator, I have a love-hate relationship with this. I personally find it is a distraction 70% of the time while work calls and a 70% of the time educator well work does not call, if used appropriately.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

You just need to try it to see what suits you. It will depend on how balanced it is about the center of rotation and how the handle diameter fits your gloved hand. I had a handle on my A10 shank and took it off because it was just in the way and tilting an A10 with 10lbs of aluminum is no chore. With ~30lbs of iron it in it could be a different story and a small radiative shield in front of your hand could be a good addition.

When I added the sliding top clamp to my A10 shank, the slight increase in handle diameter (1" to 1 3/8"D) improved comfort and grip control. The handle on my A20 is quite large, maybe too much so (the slider is 2" OD).

Best,
    Kelly

6. rocco

rocco Silver

Here's a somewhat different take on crucible handling tools, maybe okay for lower melting point metals like aluminium but I don't think I'd trust them for anything that needs to get much hotter than that.

7. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

A bit scary even if only Aluminum. Garage door closed?........indoor lost foam.......I bet that shop stunk for a good long time and someone needs to introduce that young fella to a Kush/pouring cup.

Best,
    Kelly

8. Jason

Jason Gold

I bet they forgot to turn off that giant TOASTER OVEN before sticking in that abortion of a lifting tool. Dumb design.

9. OMM

OMM Silver

It was an odd little carriage that they had containing the crucible that stayed with it in the oven.

I found it a little scary how they hooked on to pick it up for the pour.

In the end, I’m glad they used a metal bucket. The paint was burning off the outside. The smell would’ve been a lot worse if they were using a plastic bucket.

I give them props for trying. I’m sure they walked away learning something.

10. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

I invert an empty Crucible on top of a pair of ingot molds, some times they have metal some times not, but they are pre-warmed to be dry.
    I can think of a single time that all my ingot molds where full and I had no place to put the crucible, so I might have just inverted it , and them moved it to it's bucket with the lifting tongs ,
    I store crucible in a metal bucket with a brick in the bottom of it upside down, crucibles are always upside down

V/r HT1