Live YouTube stream thread.

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

At Jason's suggestion I live streamed my first 50 pound bronze pour on YouTube. There were 2 watchers from the forum which was quite cool to have them type questions and comments and show them the pour and my various projects in the shop.

I'd like to start this thread as a place to organize all future live streams. I think it would be a fun way to share what we are doing in our own corner of the world. So go ahead and post when you're about to so a live stream (using your phone and the YouTube app) and I'll be sure to tune in with a couple beers.

Here's a recording of my first live stream. I'll try get better with the shaker camera on my next stream :)

2. Jason

Jason Gold

I'll try to stick something up here. I receive email notifications from the forum, so I suggest if you would like to be informed of a pending live stream, Stick something in this thread so you are subscribed to it. Anyone know if a gopro can be setup to run live streams with too much headaches? I sprung for a decent microphone on mine and now the audio is pretty decent.

If this becomes popular, I suggest moving this to the general foundry section and making it a sticky. ;)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah I accidentally posted this thread into wrong forum. If a mod can move it to general that would be sweet.

I might post some silver casting later as well for a change of pace.

I get email notifications too so I'll be ready for your livestreams too. I'm looking forward to seeing yours.

4. PatJ

PatJ Silver

It was an interesting pour.

A few random comments:

I believe you could come out cheaper using an oil burner.
    My guess is you could melt 50 lbs of bronze with less than 2 gallons of oil, and in perhaps 45 minutes.
    And you have an air compressor now, so no excuse such as "I don't have enough compressed air".

I started using propane, when trying to melt iron, and after a number of mid-melt tank changes, and lots of frozen tanks that would not deliver enough pressure, I kicked the propane to the curb (for iron melts) and went with an oil burner.

You could put a tarp down in your slurry area, and could then just pick up the tarp to clean up.

Plastic and hot metal don't mix well.
    Wood is not much better but at least wood does not burn with toxic fumes.

Maybe a helmet-mounted camera would free up both hands.

The sandals an and shorts were a bit hair-raising (hair burning as you say), especially with such a large and seemingly teetering crucible full of hot metal.

It takes a while to perfect the materials, handling, pouring techniques, etc.
    If you don't have all that perfected, then you can waste a lot of molds learning (I did).

Is is just me, or is that cyclone hooked up backwards.
    Shouldn't the hose from the sandblaster be connected to the outside cyclone connection?
    https://www.oneida-air.com/inventor...MIg4uMwLTa2wIV2rjACh3AfAr0EAQYASABEgI69fD_BwE

Great video. I missed the live stream, but maybe catch it next time.
    Hope some of that pour turned out.

5. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I'd like to get notifications from this thread too, I tend to often skip live streams from channels I watch otherwise, or just watch a bit sometimes before finding something else to do, but this was fun... If I can figure out how and get my home wifi to extend out to the pouring area somwhow, maybe I'll try it sometime too!

Jeff