looking for info on Charcoal Foundry

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by smithdoor, Oct 15, 2018.

1. smithdoor

smithdoor Copper

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  2. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Get yourself a copy of David Gingery's book, The Charcoal Foundry. It has good instructions for how to build a nice little charcoal furnace on the cheap, plus a basic intro to sand casting. I got my kindle version for about $7CDN.

One place where the book falls a bit short is, it doesn't quite tell you all you need to know to operate it properly. Meaning, it needs a lot less blower air than I thought it would when I built mine. Too much air will make it burn holes through your crucibles in short order. There's a trick to knowing when your (hair dryer) blower is set properly, But we can get into that once you have a furnace built! :D

Good luck,

Jeff

3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Hi Dave and welcome.
    I usually make suggestions by saying things like "maybe you should consider..."
    Or "perhaps you may want to try..."
    I won't say either of those here.
    Do not follow the instructable you have linked above. It will be a complete waste of time. Plaster has no place in your furnace and will fail immediately. Avoid Portland cement too. Real refractory cement is the best way to go but gets pricey. The book Tobho mentions above is a good one. The book is also available in paperback.
    Just to give you a bit of a heads-up, the guys at the big-box stores will have no idea what you're talking about.

Pete

4. smithdoor

smithdoor Copper

Thank you
    It to good to be ture.
    I do not plan on making crucible or even buying clay crucible

Dave