Looking for Phosphor copper pellets in small quantity

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Trade' started by John Gaertner, Jul 2, 2022.

1. John Gaertner

John Gaertner Silver

Hello, Anyone have a supply on hand of phosphor copper granules they would be willing to sell me a small quantity of? All I can find in 3-5 Lbs at a time. 100 life times worth for my needs.

Thanks,

Jgaertner

2. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

I purchased a few Phos/copper brazing rods at the welder supply. I just melt a few inches off for a small bronze pour and it works great.

3. John Gaertner

John Gaertner Silver

That is a very good suggestion. Thank you. Do you happen to remember the brand name of the brazing rod? Jgaertner

4. Jammer

Obraze is the company. They make rods for joining non-ferrous metal. This is their BCuP-2 alloy 7.25% Phos and the rest is Copper.

OBRAZE.COM

5. John Gaertner

John Gaertner Silver

Did you just add more rod than say you would if you were using the 15% Posphor-copper pellets? Jgaertner

6. Jammer

I had used some shot a long time ago in a casting class. We only used about 1/2 of a teaspoon for a 15 lb pour of red brass. So I was trying to put in a couple inches of this rod for a 5 lb pour of Everdur, about 5 inches melted off before I could pull it out. It made the Everdur very fluid. I'm not sure how much to use, the instructor said use 1/2 tsp so I kind of guessed what I should use.

John Gaertner likes this.
  7. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

ouch!!! 1.5ounce per 100Lbs of metal , too much Phos decreases ductility in red brass and tin bronze

V/r HT1

8. John Gaertner

John Gaertner Silver

It should help with the fluidity of the pour. I think you are right about adding a bit more of the welding rod cause its only like 5% Jgaertner

9. Jammer

OK, I looked it up. 1 to 1.5 oz of 18% CuP shot to 100 lbs of Alloy. 1/2 tsp is about .25 oz for about 17 to 25 lbs of brass, so just a little high on the Phos.
    The 7.25% Phos, 1/8" brazing wire is about .05 oz per inch and I had a total melt of 9 lbs of Everdur so about 2.0 to 2.5 inches of rod to equal the CuP shot. All very crude measurements to be sure. It would be much easier to calculate in Metric. 28 to 42 grams per 45 Kilograms.

Just use 2.5 times the weight of the rod to the shot to get the 18%.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  10. I bought a kilo of 15% phos copper shot from my ingot supply company by asking if they had any. It corrodes easily in a humid environment and I had to fill the small jar with paraffin oil (baby oil) to stop the blue crusty corrosion . I'm using very small amounts in red brass to de-oxidize the melt: I understand the phosphor can remove the oxygen from the copper as phosphorus pentoxide and be skimmed off in the slag leaving not much phosphorus behind. I was also going to try casting pure copper using it to de-oxidize the copper and hopefully make it castable as I'm not concerned with conductivity or ductility too much.

phos-copper.jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  11. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Everdur is the only bronze I’ve ever worked with and I’ve always found it very fluid and clean without the help of any additions. I don’t have the experience of some others here, but I’ve never seen additions recommended for everdur. Is this a special use?

Pete

HT1 likes this.
  12. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

I have to double what Pete said Evendur is not degassed save under the most extreme circumstances, and Im not sure Phos Cu is the correct degasser,

Phos Cu is for red brass and tin bronzes
    evendur is Silicon Bronze, and an animal all to its own, the Si degasses the melt without being lost, basically its extremely hard to make a Si bronze pick up any gas so it does not need degassing

I understand the confusion, especially around here as terms get tossed about whilly nilly , one of the big mistakes is thinking silicon Bronze is all Bronzes, not even close, most often I see people talking about how well bronze welds,, SI bronze yes, leaded tin bronze an emphatic NO

V/r HT1