Looking for suggestions for gating a match plate

Discussion in 'Pattern making' started by Gippeto, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Gippeto

Gippeto Silver

As mentioned, looking for some advise from those who have BTDT re gating this. The patterns are 3/16" thick for the most part, with the raised portion of the letters being 1/4" tall...roughly 1/16" square. About 7" long if it matters.

Currently thinking to gate into the bar at each letter, but that might be excessive? The foam piece represents a runner, which I'm planning to put into the drag...patterns and gates will be in the cope.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Al

Attached Files:

2. Jason

Jason Gold

BTDT = BeenThereDoneThat.... I had to look that one up.:oops:

Sorry, no letters here.

3. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I would do a full length knife gate.

IMG_2717.JPG IMG_2718.JPG

I run them across the table saw to de-sprue.

4. Gippeto

Gippeto Silver

Went through google and the foundry manual and couldn't find anything on a knife gate. Making the assumption that it's a thin/low height gate? Was thinking they shouldn't be more than 1/8" high...more to avoid having to clean up the corner of the bar than anything else.

Full length is pretty self explanatory though lol.

Any thoughts on putting a full length riser prior to the knife gate? ie...gate from runner into riser and then a short (1/4-3/8" ) full length gate into the pattern. I'm more concerned with getting a good casting than sparing metal.

Al

5. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

The gate would be the same thickness as the pattern with the runner down the middle.
    Patterns on each side.
    Makes it easy to slice off.
    Something like this.
    IMG_3508.JPG

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Gippeto likes this.
  6. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

Here is a Successful Knife Gate used on a larger Plaque about the same thickness,,, as thin as you can go
    IMG_3468.jpg

Tobho Mott, Jason and Gippeto like this.
  7. Gippeto

Gippeto Silver

Thanks guys. :)

I've used a piece of 1/8" plexi glass to form the gates, but attached it with screws so it would be easy to make changes/adjustments.

HT1....That's a bloody amazing bit of work.

8. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

9. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

10. Gippeto

Gippeto Silver

Finished the match plate and let it dry for a couple days. Gave it a try a little bit ago. :)

Took three tries to get one to pull cleanly, so fired up the furnace and poured it. No vents other than the one riser. Was pleasantly surprised to see them both fill, and the one pretty much turn out. Incentive to keep after it.

Thanks for the help! :cool:

Al

Attached Files:

Tobho Mott and FishbonzWV like this.
  11. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Looks good Al. One is very nice and with a little touch up on that "e", the other will be. I little more ramming and wear in and I bet it pulls clean.

God work!

Best,
    Kelly

Gippeto likes this.
  12. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Looks great!

Jeff