lost wax aluminum part

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Mutt, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Mutt

Mutt Lead

Wanted to try out this new ( to me) way to cast, Haven't tried it before

2. 1 ml of water weighs 1 gram, roughly, and is 1 cc. A liter is 1,000 cc's. A liter of water at 4 deg C (it's highest density) is 1 kg. Warmer water expands so a liter will weigh less than 1 kg but not enough to worry about.

Jason likes this.
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

Hey Mutt... Just noticed, you said plaster. Do you mean Ultravest? Just weigh your water and weigh your investment per the instructions and you'll be fine.
    Took me a minute. It's not plaster anymore, it's investment. Plaster is cheap and for suckers on youtube. Your moving up to the penthouse now!

4. Mutt

Mutt Lead

Its not Ultravest, but similar to it

Prestige ORO is a true premium gypsum bonded investment developed and perfected for the casting of gold alloys up to 22K. To achieve the very best casting surface possible, ORO incorporates specially graded refractory minerals and specialized control chemicals that are proven to out-perform all premium investments currently on the market.
    Prestige ORO have proven to be a truly superior investment for gold that far "SURPASS THE INDUSTRY STANDARD."

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
    • Highest purity, white gypsum mined from the world's best known deposits
    • Special premium grade cristobalite imported from the U.S.A.
    • High purity refractory grains, sized to achieve the smoothest casting surfaces possible
    • Mixes to a rich, creamy, easy to pour consistency
    • Reduces surface tension on wax to supply bubble free castings
    • Complete removal of investment during water quench
    • Controlled expansion properties that are compatible with all commonly used injection waxes

5. Mutt

Mutt Lead

so that's 39 grams of water to 100 grams of plaster. Wonder why they just didnt say that on the package !! Thanks oldironfarmer

6. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I'd double check with the mfg for the mix ratio.
    Generally they have different ratios for fine or heavy castings. Thick mixes can be harder to degas, but less prone to cracking.
    Use ice cold water. It will slow the investment cure giving you a bit more working time.

7. Mutt

Mutt Lead

the ratio is printed on the package 100g to 38-40 mml of distilled water. Im gonna do a trial run before I do the actual part. I just need to know about what temp the mold needs to be at pouring. I know ya cant pour the aluminum in a cold mold, just dont know what temp to heat the mold to while melting the aluminum

8. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Shoot for 550 to 750 F. You can pour into a cold mold, but run the risk of the mold cracking if it is allowed to cool lower than 500 F. Pouring aluminum into a mold thats over 1000 F can cause some bizarre shrink defects.

Jason likes this.
  9. Mutt

Mutt Lead

I was guessing about 500º should do it

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Man that's a whole lot of marketing wank there!

I would add to what David said with cold water, use distilled cold water. Where I'm at in west texas, our water is garbage. Take all available precautions until you know what you can get away with.;)

11. Harry Cowley

Harry Cowley Copper

Hi there you still need the part in wax ? Contact me ok , Harry