Lost Wood castings - no, not a joke.

Discussion in 'Metal casting projects' started by dennis, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

2. dennis

dennis Silver

Yes, Now.

Those are some of the rubbish-grade too-brittle cast-iron ones. I'll try them just the same, as at least McMonster's prices are passable compared to what I've seen in the past.

The good'ns are steel, and are priced for deep pockets.

Here's one example of what I mean:

https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H299...d=1&keywords=Lathe+dogs&qid=1616648121&sr=8-1

That's about the best price, before the Monster. Other prices are *More.*

Here's some of the goodies:

https://troutunderground.com/Lathe-Lathe-Dog-3/

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

I'm sure they are shit at those prices. Honestly I didn't know Mcmastercarr sold them. I was watching mrpragmaticlee tonight and he was making a plate and using those dogs.
    I bet when we are done, everyone will want our first class dogs! :D

4. dennis

dennis Silver

Unless, of course, they *like* cast iron bits and munched shafts - though steel dogs could chew things up, too, unless they are padded with a softer metal.

Thought: cast a coating of, say, Babbitt on the inside? No-chew dog?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Jason likes this.
  5. dennis

dennis Silver

Secured more balsa this AM. As soon as the current possible bag finishes - it being something I carry whenever I leave the house - I'll get in some time on the first "woodies."

6. Jason

Jason Gold

Looking forward to seeing your carvings. Remember bronze shrinks a little. Figure about 3/16" over 1 foot. Not much, but I know you'll leave a little meat for machining.;)

7. dennis

dennis Silver

Just ordered some rasps for balsa shaping. Paid a bit extra for shipping, so as to have them a trifle faster.

Hope I get time to work on them soon, what with feeling "lousy" (a most-common occurrence, due to age and illnesses) and needing to do cloth stuff before next month's trip south.

Need to buy a couple of small brushes next. Try to get them tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Tobho Mott likes this.
  8. dennis

dennis Silver

Got two lacquer brushes today... will do a picture tomorrow AM, assuming I don't forget. This latest immunization - possibly; it could be the more-usual things, also - has been kicking my posterior since last Sunday. Like having chronic fatigue syndrome, almost.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

You need a pot of my perked coffee. This stuff will have you on the ceiling!
    For a real treat, I toss in a shot of baileys and half a shot of amaretto. You won't know if you're coming or going! It's kinda like Redbull and vodka!

10. dennis

dennis Silver

Never learned to drink coffee. (I have tried it).

Booze is verboten with what I have. Were I to consume it, I might well end up in the hospital.

11. dennis

dennis Silver

Got the rasps in. Will take a pic of the supplies laer today.