Making a Durable Aluminum Pattern For Casting Plaques

Discussion in 'Pattern making' started by Tobho Mott, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I probably could, that's the plan along with digging the well a little deeper if I have any trouble casting the house numbers with the pattern as-is.

Jeff

2. Jason

Jason Gold

pour it in bronze.. I saw your ingot. liver of sulfur patina and buff back the top of the border and numbers..

3. Tobho Mott

Well, I made up the mold to cast the house numbers last weekend when we had a strange thaw which made my sand workable again for a day.

You guys may get a laugh seeing how I accidentally gouged a 'shrink bob' into the cope while opening up the mold. Maybe I should have put the flask's window sash locks on the sides where the pins are instead...

I also poured it this Saturday just past, seems like the more seasonal cold temperatures kept it fresh stores inside my molding bench for a week, as it came out not too bad. Not my best casting ever though. Maybe I'll try it again in bronze as Jason suggested, but I'll probably see how the aluminum one finishes out first before I decide.

I got some video of the melt/pour too, but it'll take a few days before it is ready to upload. Ill edit it in here when that goes up.

Meanwhile, I do have pix though...

20180120_232534-1040x780.jpg

IMG_20180120_233152590_HDR-585x1040.jpg

IMG_20180120_233129872_HDR-1040x585.jpg

Jeff

Jason likes this.
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

I think it came out great. Save the bronze for the number plate on YOUR house. :p

Tobho Mott likes this.
  5. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Looks like it turned out pretty well.
    I am glad the weather is giving us a slight break.
    No snow on the ground today.

6. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Nice work Jeff. Sorry if you mentioned it elsewhere, but how thick are your numbers? 1/8" ? I tested cutting numbers out of PVC with the CNC this past weekend. I used Palatino Linotype like yours and did 4 different heights: 1/2", 1", 2.25 and 5.5". I used 3mm material for the 2 smaller sizes and 6mm for the larger sizes. That font didn't work well for the small sizes. On the 1/2" height using a 10degree v-bit (5 degree draft) I got nothing useable. 1" inch numbers went much better utilizing a 60 degree v-bit and although they cut well, it's not really a suitable font. The 2.25" numbers on 6mm on the other hand turned out excellent. I used 60 degree bit on that as well. I didn't actually cut any of the largest numbers yet because I ran out of time, but I have it ready to go. Let me know the house number of your next victim and I'll cut you the digits to try. 3mm or 6mm?

Pete

7. Tobho Mott

Thanks guys...

Pete, I cut these numbers out of 1/8" plywood. I'll be in touch about the next number in the near future, thanks!

Jeff

8. Tobho Mott

Video of the melt/pour/shakeout as promised:

I'd love to blame the rough stuff around the edges of the numbers in certain spots (see pic above) on it being a week old greensand mold I poured it in, but that broken sand all happened when I was drawing the pattern out of the mold. I think I need to get better gear/technique for rapping the pattern... Was using the screws I used to pull it out of the sand to rap on for the side to side rapping, but I did not notice the pattern loosening any. Something that fits into the holes on the back of the pattern and is both longer than those screws and fairly rigid should be more effective, I think.

Jeff

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    dennis likes this.
  9. Jason

Jason Gold

That backfire was EPIC! It relit on it's own, but I wonder how much worse it would have been if you had actually moved the lid? KABOOM! I've had a few flame outs with my rig when on jet fuel WITH the lid closed. Too rich is always the cause for me. The first thing I reach for is the fuel valve and leave the blower running. THEN I open the lid and re light it. I'm glad you caught that on film. Good reminder.

10. Tobho Mott

Hard to see in the video but it didn't relight until I stepped on the pedal to crack open the lid (faster than lowering the oil or turning up the blower, you think I chose wrong?) ... Glad the lid didn't go into orbit anyhow! :eek:

Jeff

11. Jason

Jason Gold

Tough call, it happens SUPER fast. I still would reach for the fuel (or oil) valve. I'm kinda trained to cut fuel first in hairy situations. When I commit to feather, it mechanically shuts fuel off and then I quit feeding the hot parts with an electric fuel shutoff switch as a backup. (turbo props)

12. Tobho Mott

There really wasn't time to think about it, I stomped that pedal entirely on instinct...

Jeff

13. Tobho Mott

If you like watching some guy do a whole bunch of edge, spindle, and hand sanding in high speed, you'll love the final episode of my house number plaque casting video series!

But if you're only into bandsawing and flap disc grinding and drilling, you'll probably only kind of like it.

For the rest of you, dont feel left out - here's a YouTube thumbnail showing what the finished plaque looked like before I hit it with some sealer spray, which you probably won't want to click on. [​IMG]

I also cheated a little and dabbed a tiny bit of silver paint into the little dings on the left side of the 6 and in the center of the lower border. They show up a lot less now.

Jeff

OCD likes this.
  14. Oxide

Oxide Lead

Looks sweet, you can wipe the top of your edge and numbers with vasaline before spraying to ease the removal of your paint

15. OCD

OCD Silver

Jeff, don't be too hard on yourself.
    Some things need a rougher/textured finished and in my opinion anything for exterior environments such as this fall into that category.

How tall is the address plaque?

Is it narrow enough to run a hand held belt sander over?

I always look for the easier and quicker ways to Getter Done.

FYI, might want to apply a small amount of contact cement to the back of the sand paper sheet and your board to keep it put.
    I wouldn't coat the entire back, just a few spot to make it stay put.

All in all, looks like it came out nicely.

Giving ya a like because you did a good job and I know how much of a PITA these videos are to film, edit and produce.

16. Tobho Mott

Oxide - great vaseline tip, 3 words I don't often use together in a sentence, at least in a public forum! :D

I tried wiping off the paint before it dried but it began drying faster than I expected.

OCD - thanks for the tips. I don't have a handheld belt sander, though the size would have worked out about right. I do have a bench top belt sander, but I still haven't replaced the belt that got ripped when I was sanding the edges of my Halloween belt buckle or I would definitely have used that! A terrible excuse, I know. The fact that I tried but got the wrong size may provide you guys with some amusement. More terrible excuses: I would have glued that sandpaper down, but I didn't want to get glue all over my best molding board (the top from an Ikea tv tray - a good fit for the 12X16 flask I used for this casting)...

Jeff

17. Oxide

Oxide Lead

No probs, I'm new to sand casting... I've done couple number/ name plates, the next one I'm going experiment a little i.e rather than black spray the background I want to use clear resin and black pigment for a high gloss finish

Enviro-tex lite is very viscose and takes pigment well ~ hoping to get to play in the shed soon.

18. Tobho Mott

Sounds cool, make sure and post some pictures!

I'm looking forward to playing around with patinas and bronze a bit, but probably not until after winter ends - I think I have pretty much lost the battle with keeping my melting and pouring area shoveled out. The snow just won't stop!

20180209_170254-1-645x484.jpg

Jeff

19. Oxide

Oxide Lead

Shit me! That's funny im in south east England don't get much of that white stuff, Rain, yeah we get a feck load of that

Keep well. Paul.

20. Jason

Jason Gold

Clear and sunny here in west Texas.. Been in the 70's with blue skies last few days. I hate that white stuff.