Milling bits, need some help figuring out what I just bought

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I got a deal on some milling bits, some I know what they are others I do not. Any insight into what these things are for? What size shank can an average Bridgeport mill take when it comes to bits and cutters? Some of the shanks on the bits are like 1+" in diameter.

20190112_175059.jpg 20190112_175125.jpg 20190112_174046.jpg
    20190112_175207.jpg

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

7/8" is the biggest a bridgeport will handle as far as i know..... atleast with an r8 taper anyways....

3. dtsh

dtsh Silver

Assuming R8 taper, DavidF has your answer, but whatever machine taper your mill has, be it R8, CAT40, MT2, or something truly exotic, you'll mostly hold bits in either a tool holder or a collet. I tend to use collets myself and a basic set of R8 collets (assuming your spindle is R8, mine is) can be had at pretty reasonable prices. Some people opt for getting a whole set of collets, but to be honest, I use 3/8, 1/2, and 5/8 the most. I would get just the sizes you need to fit the bit shanks unless you have space and money to burn on things you probably will never need.

Your second pic is two 1-2-3 blocks and a sine bar. Blocks are used for random clamping and hold down, etc. The sine bar is used by placing gauge blocks under one end, do a little trig, and you can calculate very precise angles.

Looks like you have some throats for a broaching set in there at the bottom of the last pic, but I don't see the broaches themselves and some assorted cutters at the left. Are those some Morse Taper tools center right? Looks like they could be MT adapters (or other taper, sooo many tapers). Look to ba a variety of what look like centers top left, likely Morse Taper. Looks like 3 R8 tapers to the left of the centers, so maybe you won't need to acquire any (could be 3C).

If you find anything with Jarno tapers, drop me a note before you scrap it. :p

Edit: Most of the MT stuff (or whatever taper it is) will likely be more useful on a lathe.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

while im thinking about it... you can get a 1" collet holder with an r8 taper.....

5. joe yard

joe yard Silver

Looks like a nice find Zapins!
    It is a lot of varied items. I will do my best to identify them if I can.
    In the first picture from left to right.
    3- R8 colets, 2 Morse to Jacobs taper adaptors used to fit drill chucks to a taper such as used in a drill press or lathe, 5 taper dead centers used to indicate center on a taper for a lath or anything using a taper requiring a center indication. They can also be used to rotate around when turning but you must lubricate friction points. Last of first row 2 unknown taper adaptors?
    Second row, ? 3 indicator pins. It is hard to tell but possibly fit 123 blocks explained below or placed in colet or work for reference point. 2 dead centers again used for turning or reference. If they have bearings in them they are specifically designed for holding the end of the turned stock while turning the material in a lathe. Next the tapered one without a point. This is called a bull nose dead center “ live with bearings” It is most commonly used when centering or turning tubing. Two centers are often used when indicating round stock for concentricity. Last is another center, the flat side gives a reference for measuring or marking on this type of center.
    Row 3 the top one is a live center. It looks like a Morse No.3 and should fit your lathe. The one under it ? 2 bore dead centers, 1 slotting cuter arbor with a cutter attached. This is used for cutting down material and often used on shafts for key ways -poor mans horizontal mill attachment.
    Next a mill end used for cutting key ways or horizontal slots, a large mill end, rest off picture.
    Around your foot 2 slotting tools and a third on an arbor that is the accessory for the above mentioned slotting cutter. More mill ends with what appears to be 2 pins mixed in. Last is a 3 pc set of 123 blocks.
    Picture 2 These are the 123 blocks and a sine bar. They are very handy in that they are dimensionaly precision ground and can be used for holding materials “camping” eat exact spacing or angels or with pins as a center support during working to reduce chatter when a large part can not be held secure to the machine. They are also used during testing and measurement.
    Picture 4, These are the spacers that would be used when broaching a bore. They are of no use without the broach but should not be discarded. If you need to broach something like a key way in a pulley. You can buy a single broach a lot cheaper than a full set.
    Picture 5 a really nice pile of tooling! Congrats.
    David is correct in that 7/8 is the biggest too a R8 standard Bridgeport will hold. The small end of the R8 colet is 1 inch in diameter. They do make colets for the R8 that protrude below the normal colet and go to at least 1 inch but they suffer from loss of rigidity as they are further from the quill and the tool is larger so chatter is difficult to control unless very light cutting.
    A couple of post beat me to this while I was slow typing.
    Joe

6. Jason

Jason Gold

Did you get a mill Zap?

7. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Thank you everyone for helping me figure out what these things are!

I don't have a mill yet. But I figured I could sell the over sized bits and make back the small amount I spent on the tooling and then just keep the rest for the future. And there are a few cutters that are well over 7/8" shaft. So I'll sell those.

Basically the scenario with the tooling is: I found a nice button, now I just need a coat to go with it...

8. Jason

Jason Gold

It's cart before the horse man.... If I ever came across cheap tooling, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat. The mill is the cheap part. It's always the tooling that gets expensive. Oil your stuff down, wrap in that brown paper and put it away. You'll find your bridgeport one day. Wish I had one.

9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Will do. I don't want it getting rusty. The tooling is in basically unused condition. It all looks sharp and new to me and for $58 for the lot I couldn't say no.

Jason likes this.
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

that was a steal.. nice find