Milling machine

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Need some help. I found these tools for sale nearby. Looks like he wants $150 for the milling bits facing mills tapers and tool bits. What machine will these fit? Will it fit a hobbyist level 2 hp bridgeport or do they require one of those megruntus huge industrial mills?

received_1824145921094841.jpeg received_372989037480911.jpeg received_815249462594231.jpeg received_1474497342753092.jpeg received_743029852976391.jpeg received_278827573455894.jpeg received_448599369440989.jpeg

2. Jason

Jason Gold

The first picture will probably be worthless for you. The mill you should be looking for will take R8 stuff.
    Now the last 2 pictures is worth it for you. Offer him a 125bucks cash and dance when you leave his driveway. Those fat cutters in the middle photos would be used on a horizontal mill. Give those to Chirpy.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I think he wanted 150 for all in the pictures.

So the top 2 pics are too big for normal machines?

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Doesn't look like R8 tooling to me. I've seen stuff like that on big haas cnc stuff. I bet Mark will tell us what that stuff is. I don't think it will just fit right into my R8 BP.
    Even if that stuff is worthless to you, the bottom baskets are well worth the money.

5. $150 is a good price, they are all a bit too big for a Bridgeport style mill's horsepower. The first photo looks like CAT50 size tapers, I have a mill that uses CAT40 which has a 7Hp spindle motor if I recall correctly. The carbide insert cutters that attach to the tapers can be removed and fitted to other size tapers which are available. Photos three and four are high speed steel cutters that typically attach to a horizontal mill arbor, they need regular sharpening with a tool and cutter grinder that costs as much as a secondhand mill. All the end mills are HSS that can be sent out for resharpening and come back a bit smaller than before.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

bingo! So zap, what you are really paying for is the last 2 photos. Send the rest of the shit across ebay.

7. Zapins

Zapins Gold

So if it comes down to it the tool bits in the last 2 photos are what I should definitely buy and the other tools I won't be able to use but might be nice to have to repurpose or resell?

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Exactly, just ALWAYS haul off as much as you can! Don't make someone break it up if you can help it.

I learned that one from Matt. If it's free or included, I'll take ALL OF IT!

9. They can be sold but it'll take a while to shift, I found pretty much what was in the first two photos while dumpster diving one day at a tech college. IF you get lucky you can sell the first two photos for $150-200 on Ebay. Modern carbide insert face mills tend to use positive rake inserts which require less horsepower, where the ones in pics 1& 2 are negative rake which needs a big, rigid, higher horsepower milling machine than the home user tends to have. This video shows some of that tooling (pics 4-5) in use on a mill that would have a similar taper spindle:

10. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hell yeah. He has a package of reamers too wanted $20 for the lot. Hoping they aren't totally worn and shot. Screenshot_20201105-222718_Facebook.jpg

11. Jason

Jason Gold

Can reamers be sharpened???

12. Jason

Jason Gold

13. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah but he wants $30 each. Which is crazy for the lot.

Basically I need to buy a very powerful mill.

How many hp can I run off a 60 amp 220v line?

Would that mill be capable of using these ginormous bits? Sounds like 7 hp is the mark to beat. Pretty huge motor...

14. Jason

Jason Gold

A 2hp bridgeport should be plenty for you. Remember you might still have to move this equipment and riggers aren't cheap. And big tooling is exponentially more expensive! Look up Lakeshore carbide. You'll see it's real easy to go broke buying tooling.:eek: And Lakeshore is one of the better ones out there. Prices are good and the quality for me has been outstanding! I like buying a 70dollar 1/2" endmill and then abuse the hell out of it for 6months! I can do a lot of damage on the cheap. I don't run coolant. I don't want the mess at this point. When I find a surface grinder, I'm sure that will change.

15. OMM

OMM Silver

46C282CA-B9A8-434E-B18E-8ED75F01522A.jpeg
    I'm pretty sure you have 240 V. 220 V was a thing of the past. Voltage test your two lines and let us know what you really have. This is what I have in my shop. The single phase is on the right. The three phase is on the left.

For single phase motors you take the FLA (full load amps) and multiply it by 1.25.

For three phase motors, you take the FLA and multiply it by 1.733 then multiply that by 1.25.

The next breaker and branch circuit up is required. You're allowed to go up to 250%.

So, 10 to 12 hp would be the answer.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  16. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Wow that's a lot of horses. I mean 240v. I just have 220 stuck in my head for some reason.

Good to know. I'll see what machine pops up over the next few months. I'll try get the most powerful one I can. And if course will post before going to see it so I can get your take on it before going in blind.

For now I'll try buy the bits tomorrow in preparation for the mill.

I need to set up shelves for all the milling bits I already own. The stuff is all in crates stacked up on the floor.

17. Jason

Jason Gold

Stop it Matt. I'm telling you man, us rednecks down here that can't conduct elections with integrity, honesty and accuracy have and will always call our high voltage 220vt!
    We know the meter reads 240vts.

18. Jason

Jason Gold

And THIS is a 110vt outlet.:p
    16046402490898702253999668399423.jpg

19. OMM

OMM Silver

A fairly decent Bridgeport style J head milling machine will come with 3 hp. Older versions came with 1 hp and 2 hp. My particular Bridgeport milling machine only has a 1 hp motor. Most Bridgeport style milling machines only come with R8 cullet tool holders. My milling machine is good for what I need, And it was good for my price. I got it in a package deal with a welder, a big metal chopsaw and drill press for $3000 CAD. I can easily flip the drill press for $200. The metal bandsaw I could flip for $1000 and the welder I could probably flip for $750. A good Bridgeport milling machine used can be found in the United States for $800-$1200 with quite a few accessories. But they will be three phase. Adding a Vfd is usually cheaper than swapping out the motor.

20. OMM

OMM Silver

LOL not if you test it. It's called 120 V outlet for about the past 50 years.