Mini Mite clone - slow build thread

Discussion in 'Sand Mullers' started by Guster, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Guster

Guster Silver

Had about an hour or two before the storm arrived on Saturday. Just enough time to take the muller tub outside to remove all the loose rust with a knotted wire cup wheel on my angle grinder. While the steel was clean I put on some rustconverter till I decide to paint it.
    [​IMG]

Tobho Mott and joe yard like this.
  2. Guster

Guster Silver

Found some inspiration in food processing machine and decided to put a 10deg taper on the larger of the rollers for the muller. As well as a very subtle crown to help it track easier. This makes the axle attachment a bit harder but now provides some much needed clearance. Especially for the fore and aft outboard wheel edges and the drum. Making it easier to add rise and fall as well as trail. Just happened to have this piece of 30mm roundbar to use as a drive shaft. Also cut the leaf spring down and drilled a second hole next to the existing one to mount it as a wiper.
    [​IMG]

While I was making a mess of my workshop and my nostrils machining this malleable cast iron I thought I'd add the bearing pockets too. First by boring one side on the mill, concentric to the OD. Then doing the other side concentric to it on the lathe, using the other bearing pocket to mount it. Machine to my favourite fit, just slightly tighter than a slip fit but not quite a press fit.
    [​IMG]

Currently doing a mockup in CAD for the axle mount options etc.