Minilathe Overhaul and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Rotarysmp, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Here is episode 9.

Trying to up both the frequency and the quality here a bit. Hope you enjoy it.
    Mark

2. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

To keep quarantined foundry men occupied, here is episode 10.

Mark

3. Jason

Jason Gold

You have the patience of a saint.

4. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Thanks. I am normally pretty crap at sticking with a project from start to finish, so this video thing is helping me keep focused.
    Mark

5. Jason

Jason Gold

I can only imagine the amount of hours you are devoting to this lathe. Guys around here would have melted the cast iron down for other stuff. Hell, they want to melt down vintage jaguar dual over head cam cylinder heads!:( That means your chinese lathe would not be safe!:p:D

Rotarysmp likes this.
  6. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

I must say the idea has cross my mind as well. Especially the tail stock is truly a POS, and is begging to be melted down and reborn as a decent tailstock :)

It is a lot of work. Also the video editing is a bottomless pit for time. I think I spent 8-10 hours editing, uploading episode 11. I wouldn't do this just for the lathe. Between having the little CNC lathe for threading, learning to scrape a whole machine, and wanting to do a youtube series, I can keep motivated. If just for the lathe alone, it probably would be back on the half finished project heap.
    I just uploaded episode 11. Making a gib for the cross slide.

Mark

Tobho Mott likes this.
  7. Jason

Jason Gold

You dont have to tell me. Running a video while working makes everything take twice as long too.

DavidF likes this.
  8. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Î'm a pretty slow worker, so the filming doesn't slow me done much, but editing does.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

I figure about an hour of editing for every 2mins of video. Quick cuts keeps the zombies from getting bored.

10. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

That sounds about right for me as well. I have gotten faster at Da Vinci Resolve, using a lot more keyboard short cuts, but my expectations also rose, so the result is not faster.

11. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

In episode 12, I'm using the MAHO mill I converted to LinuxCNC to make tapered gibs.

Mark

12. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Just uploaded episode 13. Enjoy...

Mark

Peedee likes this.
  13. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Now that the geometrical errors in the main components have been addressed, we can move on to the motion hardware..

Mark

Tobho Mott likes this.
  14. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Episode 15 is now up which covers the spindle drive motor, and has a bit of Maho slotting head action.

May I please request that the Modertator rename this thread to "Lathe overhaul and modding" or something like that, and move it to the videos section?
    Mark

15. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

I just uploaded E16. May I please request that the Moderator rename this thread to "Lathe overhaul and modding" or something like that, and move it to the videos section?

Mark

16. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Mark, we don't have a videos section/subforum. I think there is a thread for members YouTube channels. Other than that, the candidate sub forums are the Other Metal working Projects or CNC Machining Projects Subforums. What's your pleasure?

Best,
    Kelly

17. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Thanks Kelly. Please shift it to other metal working projects then.

18. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Done!

K

19. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Thanks very much.

20. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

I screwed up Episode 17 pretty badly last week, and was too embarassed to post a link.

This weeks Episode 18 is better...

Mark