Mold making - mold deteriorating quickly

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Bill W, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Bill W

Bill W Copper

I made a 2 part mold using Mold Max 60, thinned by 5% to make my wax parts. The two molds created great parts. I didn't condition the molds (heat at 125 degrees for 4 hours) since I would be making wax parts.

I've only made 6 or 7 wax parts (Freeman Ruby Red) and I found the mold is deteriorating at a very rapid rate. The internal threads are breaking up and I'm getting tears in a thin section.

I sprayed the mold with mann mold release 200 prior to pouring the wax. I don't know the temp of the wax. I heated it as low as possible on my kitchen stove and poured the wax as soon as it was liquid.

Is there a better mold making material I should use? Should I cut a slit in the mold to allow easier removal from the main part? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

And ruby red sucks. Try the turquoise ;)

4. Bill W

Bill W Copper

I'll give that a try. I am degassing prior to pouring it into the mold. I started using thinner because it's 90 degrees in my garage and I had problems when I poured it into the mold. I was getting small air bubbles. My vacuum chamber isn't big enough to degas the mold with the silicone in it. Thanks again for the tip on the product to use.

5. Bill W

Bill W Copper

It just so happens I bought some turquoise too. I'll give that a try. Now, to get the ruby red out of my camp cup. Thanks again

DavidF likes this.
  6. crazyjoe86

crazyjoe86 Lead

7. crazyjoe86

crazyjoe86 Lead

also...no degassing required...

8. Bill W

Bill W Copper