Motorbike Prototype Zylinder

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by hatta, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Looks great Hatta. Remind me, what is the cylinder bore?

Best,
    Kelly

2. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

The stats on FSL print speed are impressive. It would be nice to see side-by-side comparisons to other printers and to have a comparison of the super important after-sale tech support.

My Prusa using an .8mm nozzle is mighty fast too. And tech support is *immediate* and clearly stated by qualified experts.

I would definitely buy another Prusa if I needed another machine or if a friend asked me. They have a superb history of supplying in-stock replacement parts, inexpensive upgrade kits as the machine designs are improved, prompt inexpensive fast shipping (2-3 days to me 10 time zones away) and premium quality filament. My Chinese Anycubic resin printer works well enough, but I am largely on my own if there are issues. Shipping on the Anycubic took two weeks. Parts are iffy. FSL’s ship directly from China.

Just sayin, these are important but less immediately visible considerations. How far is the Prusa factory from you? Not far I think. My printer “nerd” friends steered me to Prusa when I was considering getting my first printer. I am glad they did.

Denis

Chazza and hatta like this.
  3. hatta

hatta Silver

Thanks Kelly!:cool:

The Bore size is 45mm

4. hatta

hatta Silver

Hm, the prusa look great, but the build space is not enough.
    I need 300x300x300mm

5. Melterskelter

Just for the sake of argument, I am going to say “No, you don’t.” ;-)

Your well-made drawings demonstrate how you built up this cylinder from components you methodically constructed like building blocks one on another. I do think it could be quite feasible to similarly build up the pattern from pieces much like models nearly everyone who has assembled from plastic snap-together components. I can visualize the blockier core of the pattern consisting of the cylinder, intake and exhaust ports as a single main component. But that component could have shallow grooves, locating pegs, or ridges on which cooling fins could be located and glued. In some ways, I think building up a pattern this way may be easier than printing it as a single body.

As a single body print, printing all those fins will require a lot of support struts all of which will cause small bumps at attachment points and all of which will need to be sanded off. And keeping those fins flat and true in a single print might be challenging.

I agree that it seems intuitive to print this as a solid continuous print. With a super duper powder fusion printer, no doubt that would be the case. But, for mere mortals, who own smaller PLA printers, single-component printing might not be necessary or maybe even optimal.

Denis

Hey, I have a totally altruistic idea. Group-buy of a powder fusion HP printer. I’ll keep it here and print files submitted to me for “investors” for the cost of materials and shipping. ;-)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    Tobho Mott and Chazza like this.
  6. Melterskelter

And for those who really do want a larger printer, Prusa is just releasing it’s much-anticipated XL model. 360x360x360mm for $1999 partially assembled. Availability next summer as the initial 100 are sold out and chips are a limiting production factor. My printer nerd guru has one or the first 100 locked in with delivery in January.

https://www.prusa3d.com/product/ori...MIrtGv7NiJ_AIVxwKtBh1BrgMFEAAYASAAEgIw-_D_BwE

I may “need” one of these on down the road.

Denis

hatta likes this.
  7. hatta

hatta Silver

A few details later the outer shape is finished.

Today I started to create the coreboxes for the Inlay that has to go into the front side of the mold. It's very tricky and I'm getting weirdo_O with constructing these boxes. Now I need a little break:rolleyes: and go outside for some sporty activity.:cool:

So I can trye it again later:cool:

Attached Files:

Al2O3 likes this.
  8. hatta

hatta Silver

So today I got a dezent used 3D printer for a "small dollar" :cool:

It's the Artillery Sidewinder X2

Hope to get started with the first steps this week or next week

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  9. BattyZ

BattyZ Silver Banner Member

I was following a group that was trying to hack old HP printing heads to print binders on mediums, in essence, a DIY VoxelJet. Having one for the forum would be a blast! Feasible? Maybe not so much but who knows!

hatta likes this.
  10. hatta

hatta Silver

That would be nice, but not for people outside the USA :p ... we have to pay way tooo much import taxes from the USA to Austria :(
    So every printed thing would be way too expensive when made outside the EU :confused:

I've found a company near me who can print the sand cores completely for me. (Made with Voxeljet Printers) And it only costs around 150€ each piece.
    So I'm hardly thinking of let the core print for the first 1-5 Prototypes:rolleyes:

11. BattyZ

BattyZ Silver Banner Member

Ohhhhh do it! Would be cool to see them "2nd hand" on the forum.

hatta likes this.
  12. hatta

hatta Silver

I'm working on my printing skills and trye to find out how to get the best results.

It's a bit tricky, but the results get better.

Here's the cylinder in 50% size.

When I'm confortable with the printer, I print it in 100% size and check if everything is okay.

Then it's time for the positives to make the core.

At the same time I'm in contact with a foundry in germany...they are very interestet in my project and if it's not too expensive, i will let them cast 2 ore 3 prototypes for me.

Attached Files:

Tops likes this.
  13. Al2O3

How many of these do you intend to make? If it's one or a handful, you might check into having the molds and cores directly 3D sand printed. Here in the US, many foundries have added this capability for prototyping and the costs have come way down. The service usually has one-time charge and the cost of the mold and cores are a function of their volume. Your parts are small so you could probably get 4-6 pieces in a small mold and spread the one-time cost over the pieces. Foundries here will even cast and heat treat the castings. It can be an attractive option for those with CAD skills but not not necessarily committed to the casting foundry work, and also proof of concept before you become committed to the tooling.

Best,
    Kelly

hatta likes this.
  14. hatta

hatta Silver

For now I plan to make 3-5 Prototypes for testing.
    If they work as I hope, then there will shure be betwen 10 and 30 people who want to have one of these.

15. Al2O3

I'd probably tool them as you are planning, especially if you will do the casting work yourself. It can be very difficult to get a commercial foundry interested in such things. I'll be anxious to see the first castings.

Best,
    Kelly

hatta likes this.
  16. hatta

hatta Silver

Hey Kelly,

Yeah... you're right.
    If it's possible, I'll trye to cast it by myself. At the moment I'm checking all possible ways to do the job.

Right now my 3d printer is printing one half of the cylinder at 100% size. That taked 2 days and 14 hours to finish.
    Then i do the second half.

When bothe halfes are finished I can check the dimensions and all details and if everything is fine I can think about making molds and so on...

17. hatta

hatta Silver

The first halfe is finished. A little bit stringing, but that can be fixed with a short blast with a flame.

The intake membrane fit's perfectly.

Attached Files:

Tops likes this.
  18. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Glad the printing is working for you! Did you add in shrink for the casting?

hatta likes this.
  19. hatta

hatta Silver

Not jet, but when I print the positives i add the 1,3% for shrinking.

Tops likes this.
  20. Melterskelter

I also will assume you will add machining allowance on all milled surfaces---at least 1/8"
    Denis

hatta likes this.