Multiple pieces in one cast?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by LostArt, Aug 9, 2020.

1. LostArt

LostArt Lead

Hello,
    I am new to casting and I am interesting in finding out how I would go about making multiple pieces of jewellery in a single cast and general ways of minimising time whilst maximising output.

I thank you for your input in advance :)

2. rocco

rocco Silver

Welcome.
    That's not my area of expertise but I do know it's done all the time with the lost wax method. This is one of the many such images and videos I found when I googled "wax tree casting"
    [​IMG]

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Not many people do jewelry around here. The equipment list is a bit long for the average guy that wants to melt beer cans and dump it on some ants in the backyard.
    Sounds like you are interested in lost wax block investment. This is done in a flask, you'll need a vacuum pump/table, investment material (ultravest) a kiln to hold said flask up at temp and associated gear to melt the metal in the first place.
    Rocco has provided a good photo of a wax tree (on the left) and the final tree in what appears to be gold on the right. Not sure why the button is black on the right, but you are looking at trees that are upside down. Wax drains out while upside down, the flask is flipped over and the metal goes in. There is a little more than this, but that's it in a nutshell.

4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Its doable. What do you want to make?

5. LostArt

LostArt Lead

I don't have a particular object in mind but on general, it would be pendants of 4-8gr of 24k gold and other small items such as dice.

I would play around with cheaper metals at the start but the aim would be to work with 24k gold.

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Why 24k? It's a very soft weak metal that damages easily over time. Not to mention expensive. 14k is better for durability. Mix with copper or silver.

I've done a decent amount of silver casting using a spin caster and Jason's family owns a jewelry making business so if you have specific questions we can likely help you out.

7. LostArt

LostArt Lead

I like the concept of mene.com

They sell "investment" grade gold jewellery like you would find in the far east rather than the low karat gold jewellery that you find in the West where most of the price you pay is for the marketing of the company.