Mutare Crux

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Kurtis Kiesel, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

This is a restore job of an alter (mutare) crucifix . It will be a pro bono, deus lo vult job.

Part A. Fashion matching base. Ok well I could spend hours sculpting, I am sure you guys would want me to twitch it or zoom it, yet I am lazy and have the tools. So the plan is copy the needed elements from the cross and build the base out of wax. If i like it, I may make a base mold. But for now I will go the quick one off route.

So for starters I am laying this thing on a much to small board and building damns around it with oil based clay.

PXL_20210713_021253501.jpg
    Then pouring silicone around it...This has to be the most haste I have worked with this stuff, I even added accellerent to the mix like i was going to brush it on. Lazy and wasteful. But hey the silicone is 18 months+ old and you never know the Holy Land needs this one.

PXL_20210713_023209714.jpg

Tomorrow we will see how it does maybe heat some wax. In the mean time make fun of me about how the wax will pour out of the open sides of the mold and post some crusader memes to entertain me.

P.s. One of my best friend is a Muslim keep it all in good fun.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

That's smart to lift the design off that. Saves a buttload of time hand carving that vine pattern.

3. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

I know it has been a month. My studio got commandeered again! I figure i would give you all a preview of the lack of progress...
    PXL_20210816_011340634.NIGHT.jpg

Jason likes this.
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

Whatcha working on here? Looks like broken pieces. :(
    I'm neck deep in a bathroom so casting work has had to take a back seat. Will PM you.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  5. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

I am building a three legged base for this cross.

I have taken the cross and created a partial mold of it. I have made a half dozen copies from the mold and I am now breaking it down, cutting it into pieces resembling the basic elements of the original aetwork. Then bending and re-assembling the piece into a matching base.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021