My Osborn Sand Molding Machine

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Patrick-C, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

Thanks Patrick.
    A company called Equipment Merchants International handles Osborn squeezers. And sometimes I get parts from them, like the piston rings and there are valves inside the squeeze valve body
    that need replacing sometimes...I have never bought a whole machine new. I buy working used machines. What wears out is that squeeze valve assembly. Once that thing is no good you may as well strip the machine for parts.
    Last time I priced the valve assembly it was $1600. and at that time I could buy a used machine for 500-1000....used machines now are 1500 and up. And EMI isn't even making the 275J with wheels anymore...I can get a stationary for 24,000 (ouch) but that doesn't fit my shop....does yours have wheels?
    Been running this shop for 29 years, I have 3 guys right now and we are running about 200 molds a day, pouring 1000 pounds a day. Just repaired one valve body last week. 2 issues to deal with.
    Pull the handle off and you will see a place where one of the valve pins wears on the handle. Had to weld some metal back because that nub had worn away, and second a spring had broke
    in the air release valve. Table wouldn't stay down. :) Had spare valve assembly on hand so that machine wasn't down for more than 20 minutes. The old valve is repaired and waiting for the next breakdown.
    Thanks for giving me the opportunity to chat, not many people talk foundry.
    Oh yea....burned head :) I was pouring off a large mold, I think it was a 16x36 6/6 with about a 15 pound part, took 2 risers. Just finished filling when the metal in the risers moved like it wasn't supposed to, it went down and up real quick. I 'm thinking, oh no! Then it popped, metal all over the place... some came down on the top of my head. At the time I had long hair, nearly to my elbows.
    Had hair all over the shop...Went and got the hair cut, and that bald spot never grew back. oh well, its a good story...true too.

2. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

No mine is stationary, with a swinging head.
    Well, 200 molds a day is a lot. And so far the only issue I have had is sticky lube on the air cylinder. That is a lot of good information there thank you for sharing, I will be sure to use it to my advantage. But when my machine wears out I will defiantly document the repair process.

Ouch, what kind of metal was it? Iron? My hair grew back thankfully.

How easy do you think it would be to replace the valve assembly entirely like with air valve hardware meant for something else? Just looking at mine it looks like it would be pretty easy.

Patrick

3. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

Aluminum. Have burn scars all over me. I prefer 3rd degree burns as it kills the nerves.
    I do not see why you couldn't use another valve assembly. The bolt holes don't line up. maybe make an adaptor to fit...that'll work. But it seems a lot of trouble, find another valve then fit it.
    I don't know. So through the years I just strip old machines for the parts.
    You are still using your machine, what are you casting? What type sand? Furnace?

4. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

I use transmission fluid and or motor oil.

5. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

I used transmission fluid to get it going again so that worked.

I mostly cast random parts for customers, which are motorcycle parts, car parts artwork, and stuff like that. As for sand, I have only used water bonded greensand so far, I have petrobond but haven't used it in my sand packer yet.
    My furnace is a homemade waste oil burning furnace, with a kwiky for the burner. The insulation is ceramic wool and kastolite 30 li plus, and the biggest crucible it can take is an A10. I need to build a bigger one soon here.

Patrick

6. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

I am impressed, that is very cool.
    I will get back with you, I am off to a meeting just now.
    I am,
    Ben

7. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

On the jolt/squeeze machines, is the pressure regulated and measurable and the force calculatable? Or do you just squeeze it until it feels/seems right?

8. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

The pressure is regulated, but on mine, there is no gauge(yet). And if it did have a gauge the force would be calculatable. But without a gauge, I adjust it until it feels/seems right. Great timesaver either way though.
    Patrick

Tops likes this.
  9. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

The pressure is regulated, but on mine, there is no gauge(yet). And if it did have a gauge the force would be calculatable. But without a gauge, I adjust it until it feels/seems right. Great timesaver either way though.
    Patrick

10. Tops

Thanks Patrick!

11. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

Regulated by the pressure from your compressor. manufacturer recommends 90 pounds air, I don't think that is nearly enough... I run my at 120 to 150 psi...get a really good jolt
    and a good squeeze. I think most squeezer shops run in this range. There is a devise that can be installed on the machine that can be set to pop-off the air at a certain point. These are often
    removed. I never found one that gave me satisfaction. I just took one off an Osborn about 3 months ago...I'll give it away if you want it, I think they are useless.
    What will do you good is a plug you can open to ad oil into your air lines, to keep your valves oiled.
    I suppose the reason for the air pop-off is because on some molds it is not desirable to squeeze them to holy hell. But truth, you really want to squeeze most jobs pretty hard.
    A hard mold is a happy mold!

Patrick I am very impressed with your efforts, I have a smaller furnace that I built some years ago. Built from a 55 gallon drum, cut the drum in half, welded to a steel plate base.
    This base has 3 angle iron legs welded to the base in a v, point down, to allow moving with a fork lift. Also makes the furnace really sturdy.
    It melts with a 30 pot, I have a shank for one man pour and a shank for a two man pour. Also tongs to lift out. A blower, gas lines. burner.
    This thing makes heat. Doesn't take long for it to get going and when it does, it'll melt about 60 pounds brass every 10 minutes.
    I'll give you the whole setup if you can come get it.

Ben

Tobho Mott, Patrick-C and Tops like this.
  12. rocco

rocco Silver

Patrick, looks like it might be time for a road trip! If not for the stuff, then to meet up with an experienced old hand like Ben, for a young man like yourself, that could be a valuable learning experience.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
    Tops likes this.
  13. Tops

Thanks Ben.

If I do the 'math' based on an Osborn 212 running at factory 80 PSI, it seems to have a range of 30-90 PSI at the flask before you are really low or really high.
    I would have to run a 3" air cylinder at over 100 PSI to get into the low range with my small flasks.
    I just took inventory, and it looks like I gave the hydraulic cylinder to the kid to use on the farm...so a jerry-rig of a squeezer is most likely a bust at this time.

psi_squeeze1.jpg

If there are errors in this math, please let me know, I can correct and repost.

14. Tops

Oh yeah!

15. rocco

rocco Silver

Momentary thread hijack: I'm now 60 years old and I've lived my life with very few regrets, among those few regrets is not taking enough time to talk and especially listen to the old people in my life when I was younger, they would have very happily shared their knowledge and experiences with me but I was busy and thought I knew everything already so I didn't make the time, now they're all gone and their wisdom is lost to me forever. So, to everyone reading this especially the young busy types, if an old person wants to talk to you, stop and listen, it may not seem so at the time but I promise you will eventually come to realize that it was worth your while.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  16. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Well on my machine there is a regulator valve, or that is what I think it is.
    InkedIMG_1102.jpg
    Anyway, I tell myself messing with that makes a difference lol. And I think the air that is flowing from the air compressor is normally at something like 100psi. But so far I haven't needed a really hard mold, that said I will do some playing around with pressures and valves to see what kind of difference it makes. Also I can get my machine to pop-off occasionally but not every time, so I don't know what is going on with that.

Wow! That sounds like a great setup. And like I said I have been planning to build a bigger one. But you have just opened a whole new opportunity for me. I would love to come and get it. Any more details would be great like pictures and maybe estimated weight so that I know what it will take to haul it. And then I will have to plan a trip. Is there a deadline? Thank you so much for offering Ben I am too excited to think clearly right now lol.

I understand that rocco, and I hope I can benefit from this opportunity but I will have to see if my life will permit it.

My osborn has a 10inch squeeze cylinder and a I think 4inch jolt cylinder. But anyway here are some more pictures.
    IMG_1103.JPG IMG_1104.JPG IMG_1105.JPG IMG_1106.JPG IMG_1107.JPG IMG_1108.JPG IMG_1109.JPG IMG_1110.JPG IMG_1111.JPG IMG_1112.JPG IMG_E1104.JPG

Patrick

17. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

Got a SPO pop-off valve...that makes me smile.
    The machine is in good shape, ought to give years of service.
    You will need a pickup truck, I can load the furnace with a forklift. I suggest 3 men to lift it out, but 2 strong men can do it. I am guessing the weight at 250 lbs.
    The blower moves around 500 cfm. Too much air? Just add more gas... it is also 240 3 phase, might be able to run it 110, have to check that.
    I will get some pictures up for you.
    Ben

Patrick-C likes this.
  18. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Thank you, Ben. We have a skid steer which is known as an all-train forklift, so unloading should be fine.
    So you like it?:)
    That would be awesome! I am so excited, I just hope I can work something out!:D

Patrick

19. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

I think you have a great machine.

Patrick-C likes this.
  20. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

outstanding!

Patrick-C likes this.