Myfordboy's compact oil burner

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by myfordboy, Oct 31, 2020.

1. myfordboy

myfordboy Silver

With this Covid thing my free waste oil supply has been unavailable so I have switched to kerosene.
    We have oil fired central heating so I have a big tank available to drain from.
    I took the opportunity to refine the design a bit and have a small fuel tank next to the burner which make for a neat design.

Fuel consumption is 3.12 lt/hr
    Nozzle used 1.0 mm nozzle: http://bit.ly/2RtjQpC
    I offten read of using propne to start a waste oil furnace but |I have always been able to start this from cold without any pre heat. I do warn the oil to about 30C in cold times to help the flow.

HotRodTractor likes this.
  2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Very clean video. Nice closeups and angles.

Interesting burner. I have a Delavan waste oil burner do you think it would work instead of the nozzle you used?

I also don't see a pump to move the fuel. Are you using compressed air to spray it?

I have lots of access to kerosene down here in VA so I could easily do this build. It would be a lot cheaper than propane which costs between 10 and $15 per hour using bbq tanks.

Is kerosene flammable like gasoline? Or more like diesel? Any special precautions to avoid sparks getting inside and exploding it?

3. myfordboy

myfordboy Silver

Zaplins, The fuel is siphoned in, like a spray gun. You need compressed air to power it. Will also run on waste motor or veg oil.
    I am not familiar with the waste oil burner you mention but sounds like it would be Ok.
    I previously had the same set up with a Hago siphon nozzle which i imported from the US at high cost after tax and handling at this end.
    The one I linked to is a copy and much cheaper.
    You cant burn kerosene unless it's vapourised so not like petrol.

4. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Hago and Delavan are synonymous I believe.

Kero is very similar to diesel which is very similar to heating oil which is very similar to jet fuel. I think they would be hard to distinguish in a burner. I’ve burned diesel and jet fuel. They behaved identically.

Denis