New man cave!!!!

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by DavidF, Jan 26, 2018.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Move, day one...
    Grabbed some of the heavy stuff but lots more to move. Had to take the pm940 apart to move it. I'm dreading moving the bridgeport...
    20190311_164025.jpg 20190311_181142.jpg

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Starting to staff up the shop. Wont be long and chips will be flyin'.

Best,
    Kelly

3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I have a heated floor in my 3000sqft pole barn and it sure is nice.

4. PatJ

PatJ Silver

That is some fun looking equipment, and a nice shop to go into.
    This is going to be fun.
    I am going to get some more popcorn and get comfortable in my chair.

I had to move my dad's equipment, and it was a royal pain in the rear.
    I had a good chain hoist, and a big pry bar, but an engine hoist would have been very handy at the time (I have one now).

I see you have wheels on a lot of equipment.
    I have been adding those to some of my stuff (not my mill or lathes), and it is very convenient.

5. joe yard

joe yard Silver

David if you divide your Bridgeport into 2 pieces. It will make it a lot easier and safer to move.
    There is a cast ring inside the bottom main frame that bolts the top frame on with 4 bolts. The ring will drop when the last bolt is removed but is easily put back into place by accessing the ring from the door most models have mill.jpg on the side.
    Joe

6. DavidF

Last time i moved it I had a forklift :oops: but yea, I know how it comes apart.... May be a good time for a repaint....

7. joe yard

joe yard Silver

Hi David
    I did not doubt that you knew how they came apart. I just wanted to give you a heads up on the ring inside in case you had never taken one down that far. They take a long arm and a coat hanger to get back into place. It sure makes them a lot easier to move in two pieces if you don’t have a fork lift. My Wells index does not have the door on the side and I would not want to think about the fishing trip that it would take if I ever dropped the ring in it.
    I ran into a Chinese knock off a Bridgeport that had a two piece ring.
    With your trailer you will have no trouble when moving it. I seen an unfortunate guy who bought a very nice used Bridgeport at one of the local machine dealers. He put it on a very light trailer when I was there. We all but begged him to separate it but he would not. He at least dropped the table down and flip the head upside down but unfortunately got one wheel off the side of the drive in a culvert and flipped it. I do hope it was not a total loss but it did look bad.
    I am sure you have it under control and will be looking forward to seeing the new machine shop take shape. Any plans for dust collection? This is something I will have to address in my shop this year.
    Joe

8. DavidF

Im trying to remember, but I think this particular BP has a circular T slot that the bolts sit in with a single spot in the top that they can be installed and removed... Its been awhile since ive had it apart. Im half tempted to just replace it. It is a 194? J head model and is pretty worn out. Think it came out of a school or something. It has more holes in the table than a brick swiss cheese....

9. DavidF

20190315_181143.jpg 20190315_181148.jpg 20190315_120047.jpg There is still 3 more large pieces to get moved. But I managed to get old clunky (Bridgeport) into the shop. Think over the winter I'll tear it all apart and redo it. Shops filling up more quickly than I though :(

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    joe yard likes this.
  10. joe yard

joe yard Silver

looking good! If you ever replace The Bridgeport. It would make a great machine for a CNC conversion.
    joe

11. DavidF

Lol... That PM940 is converted to cnc, and so is the G0704... Working on converting the rockwell lathe to cnc also...

12. joe yard

joe yard Silver

That’s great. I have a very nice shop but it is old school. I don’t even have a DRO on the mill. I hope to correct that this year but there are so many things on the list ahead of it.
    I don’t know the first thing about programing a CNC machine but it would be a very good skill to have. I do have a small older Atlas that needs a bit of work. It is probably no bigger than 6 or 8 inch and around 14 to 18 inches C to C . It came with the shop. I am thinking it would be a good candidate for a cheap conversion. I have been tinkering with it a bit, cleaning and reworking the jibs. I would like to put a DC motor on it probably from a treadmill But have not fully committed myself to that yet. I do have a 1.5 Hp treadmill motor but I have all but decided to put it on a vertical band saw. The saw is an older Craftsmen with a 2 speed box. One for wood and one for steel but the slower steel speed is still to fast for most lobs so it is hard on blades. Unfortunately I traded my son houses. I own both of them and we moved into this one 3-4 years ago with the intent of doing a few repairs and moving back in 6 months. This house is very small as in around 800 squar foot in a small town of 18000 nosy neighbors. Not to mention it is 15 miles from my shop. Now I cant get my wife to move back to what I consider the perfect place to retire. A house that is anything but fancy but BIG over 2500 squar foot all on a slab across the lawn from the shop. In a town where you don’t lock your doors. You can shoot a 5 Lb civil war cannon and the only complaints you will get is. Why didn’t you call us to watch!
    Joe

13. DavidF

I feel your pain, but you know what they say, happy wife happy life :p
    Have you considered a stepper motor for a sewing machine for the small lathe?? Might just do the trick...
    An 800 sqft house is perfect as long as it comes with a 10K sqft shop :D:D

14. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

How did you know what my house was like :D:rolleyes:

15. joe yard

joe yard Silver

Unfortunately at this house my shop consist of a crescent wrench , a hammer and a pair of pliers.
    Joe

16. DavidF

Add a roll of duct tape to that and you can build the space shuttle :p

joe yard likes this.
  17. Jason

Jason Gold

I got a hammer!

18. DavidF

Time to start planting the corn....
    Who would have thought I'd ever say that??
    20190411_130544.jpg

19. joe yard

joe yard Silver

David, I was just wondering how the new shop was progressing? We had not had a report in a while. Mine has been very slow lately but I did manage to get a small room in the back ready with the wiring and air line plumbing to the main shop. I got 1 of the air compressors moved to the back and hooked up. I eventually plan on hooking in another 2 that I have in storage for a total of 12 or 13 Hp.
    I cant decide what is the best way to hook them together. The air output will be paralleled but on the wiring. I don’t know if it would be better to start and stop them all at the same time or to do it in steps? Any suggestion?
    Joe

20. DavidF

Havent made any progress on the shop, still pulling alot of 3pm-3am's at work. Did buy a bunch of led tube lights to put up just need to find the time. Right now I want to get some plants in so most of my free time ( when the sun is shining) will be spent in the garden... I do have a couple of lost wax things going on and will post up in a bit...