New man cave!!!!

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by DavidF, Jan 26, 2018.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

2. DavidF

now you see why I need a tractor LOL

3. What's the electricity service like is there enough current for electric furnaces?. Is there...dare I say it, three phase?.

4. DavidF

its 200 amp single, with separate meter to the garage....

5. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Nice, glad you found something. Looks like you'll have lots of room to set up the foundry!

Agreed though, that is way too much yard for a push-mower! :eek:

Congrats,

Jeff

6. _Jason

_Jason Silver

Be sure you get a few farms animals of some variety so you can write the land off on your taxes as farm use.

7. PatJ

PatJ Silver

That is quite a spread.
    I would say you probably have room for a small furnace, or a thousand small furnaces.....

8. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That oughta keep ya' busy for while.

Best,
    K

9. DavidF

Yea. Just keeping it mowed! Lol.
    Maybe I should get a couple cows??

10. Very nice!! Congratulations:)

Goats would be nice. You can make money with goats on a small acreage, and as a plus, they will mask the smell of melting metal.

Full disclosure: I raise cattle and have never owned a goat, but I do have 50 full size farm tractors.

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  11. Jason

Jason Gold

Looks nice David. I vote for goats or sheep. Low to no maintenance.

12. What kind of grass eating herbivore makes the best jerky?....cows, quokkas, maybe one of those large pan sized guinea pigs bred for the table?.:rolleyes:o_O

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  13. Jason

Jason Gold

I make my jerky out of deer. Nice and lean, but you don't want those nasty animals in your backyard. Come to think of it, rabbit is super lean too, I'll have to try it sometime.
    David could install a pair of rabbits, in 6 months, he'd be in the fur business.

14. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Depends how you want to spend your time and how deep your pockets are. You're going to undoubtedly have an awful busy spring and summer as it is without spending 6hours a week mowing. I'd let a majority of it go and just handle enough to keep your family happy at first. Once your settled and want to reclaim it, one pass with a brush hog and a little cleanup will bring back to where it's mowable again.
    I bought my house about 4years ago. It's on 4acres. 1/2 of it is woods, the other half is lawn and buildings. The previous owners were retired, green-thumb types and spent a lot of time with the yard. When I moved in I had to make some decisions about what to maintain and what to let go. I just didn't have time or inclination for all of it.
    I did buy a mini tractor though. A Kubota 2200 with a front end loader and 60" mower deck. I bought it used for 8K. It's a great fit for my needs.
    Animal husbandry is a whole other adventure.
    Your dogs will love the new place!

Pete

15. DavidF

So thats why I cant get a decent tractor around here. they all moved to OK. Have any pics??

16. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I had an Oberhasli in the back yard.
    Our back yard is about 275 wide, so plenty of room, and plenty of privet hedges.
    It ate the 6 ft tall privet down to the ground; there was nothing left.

It did not eat grass, but I have seen plenty in the country on farms that do.
    Goats need a de-worm shot every year, else the worms in the grass will take them out in short order.

Be sure to get fixed goats; it reduces the smell.
    If I had to do over, I would get the Pygmy goat varitey. Easier to handle.
    A 150 lb male Oberhasli can be a handful, and they tend to be ornery, and territorial too.

I use to walk my Oberhasli through the neighborhood at night on a leash, and one rather stuffy (and ignorant) lady walked by me and said "What type of dog is that?".
    Goats are illegal in the city, so I just said "Oberhasli; its Swedish" and walked away quickly.

I took it to the vet, and a woman came in the door and said "That is the most beautiful baby horse I have ever seen" (my goat did not have horns).
    I said "Well thank you".
    People are none to swift about goats around here.

17. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Lol, Pat, I spent the first half of your post assuming Oberhasli was a brand of tractors... :D.

I guess you can add me to your list - I'm the guy who saw you furtively walking your secret goat late one night and asked, "what kind of tractor is that?"

Jeff

18. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I have seen two nice John Deere model "H" for sale in Arkansas recently.
    I had one a few years back.
    Its a small tractor, two cylinder, hand start by spinning the flywheel.

My wife said I can't buy one because we don't have any land.
    So I am looking for land.
    I found some land, and my wife said "What do we need that for?", and I said "So I can drive my tractor".
    I started humming the theme from Green Acres.

This was a model "A" that I had.
    The model "H" was similar, but had the more modern grille on it.
    No battery to maintain.

John-D-Model-A-01.JPG

19. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

How about something like this?

Attached Files:

Mark's castings likes this.
  20. Robert

Robert Silver

Congratulations! Looks like a beautiful place.
    R