New man cave!!!!

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by DavidF, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Can you tell whether that's your house? Is that an electric line or lightning ground? Might date it by when the area was electrified.

Cool finds and nice work!

Put that negative on an nice translucent white background and take a picture of it then reverse it in photo editor.

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

All most there...
    Then to turn the barn into my foundry...
    Also found out the house was built in 1855, and my well is only 30 feet deep. Well there goes about 8K
    20180824_164555.jpg 20180824_191021.jpg 20180824_190202.jpg 20180824_185602.jpg
    $ 20180824_164555.jpg 20180824_191021.jpg 20180824_190202.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Brian and Jason like this.
  3. 30 ft, hmmm, makes my 65 ft one look deep.

Are you done laying flooring?

4. DavidF

Still working on leveling the cabinets. Had to form up around them then pour floor leveling compound to get the floor leveled out. Old farm houses are pretty hard to find a level spot in.....
    Floors should be done in next couple of weeks....

5. PatJ

PatJ Silver

The kitchen is looking great.

The kitchen I renovated at my daughter's house had floors that were not quite level, but is was a pretty narrow and long room, so I just kind of averaged it all out with backer board.

I went ahead and tiled the entire room before installing the cabinets, so I did not have to trim the tile around the cabinet bases.

I had never done cabinets (or tile for that matter), and it is definitely a trick to get everything level and square.
    Walls are not square in a house, and as you say, the floor is not level either, but if you want the cabinets to fit correctly, it takes a lot of shims.

And getting the gaps between the cabinet doors exact was a trick, as was getting the height of each pair of doors to match.
    And getting all the drawer slides installed and working correctly was also a pain, and any alignment problems in the cabinets can show up when the drawers don't slide correctly.

I added downlights too, and those turned out well, and look really good in a kitchen.

Good luck
    It is a night and day change for sure.

Edit:
    Did I mention that boxes of tile and backerboards are HEAVY, as are boxes of kitchen cabinets and sacks of mortar.
    I got up to two acetaminophen a day on that renovation.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  6. DavidF

Yea, Im feeling it. My right elbow has been screwed for a month now....

7. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I remember having knee and other various jont flare-ups during the renovation.
    As I recall my hands started giving me problems towards the end, and I was wearing knee braces.
    I did use some good jelly kneepads, and that helped.
    I felt really lucky to avoid any back problems after all that lifting. I think we had 24 boxes of tiles total. I used a two-wheeler as much as possible, with temporary ramps up into the house.

And of course after the house was renovated, we had to move her furniture into it too, including one of those mega-heavy pull-out sleeper couches.

All my pains have cleared up now, luckily and I survived to cast another day.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Kitchen is looking good. You got enough room on top add some crown?
    I like your flooring. Stagger the hell out of it and it will look like wood. Never let it line up. My sister made this mistake in her house. If ya can, long end of the tile with the long end of the room. Fools the eye.

15354352649477581302328543634967.jpg .

I went from this.

a.JPG

To this.

Total cost including appliances just under 10k.
    Do yourself a favor if it's not too late. STAY AWAY FROM SAMSUNG. I have had issues out of every piece of samsung junk in this kitchen. The damn dishwasher didnt even have a heating element in it. (FRIGGEN EPA) I dumped that and went with a maytag. That dishwasher, 2yrs old tried 3 weeks ago to burn my house down. $150 for a new control board, Whirlpool felt bad for me and is sending me $100 visa card. Maytag=whirlpool=kenmore. I swear the only decent appliances on the market today are made by bosch. GE sucks too. Samsung microwave shit the bed too. They are cheap. 189bucks. These companies treat your money these days as disposable. Disgusting. See the oven in this photo? If you use the self clean, you better have a new thermocouple to replace it with. This thing couldn't find 350degrees with a friggen ROAD MAP! Don't even get me started on the fridge. You don't want to know that horror story.
    y.jpg

Image636165758167260053.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  9. DavidF

Yep going to get some crown molding up there :) Before picture....
    our kitchen.jpg

10. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Looking Good! Love the flooring choice, jag's right the more random the pattern the easier it is to hide the unsquareness of the room or a little uneveness in the old floors.

Looks like you'll be in the place in time for the holidays :)

11. Jason

Jason Gold

Damn, kitchens were ugly back in the 80's, but the appliances lasted FOREVER. One thing they did in texas was built some serious cabinetry. I couldn't bring myself to throw out my boxes. They were made from oak and were in perfect condition. After I removed the useless enclosure on top, I constructed boxes for the top of the cabinets, remounted them to the wall, skinned everything in real wood cherry veneer, added long doors at $100 box a crack and drawer fronts at $35. The wife didn't want handles or door pulls after snagging clothing on these horrible handles for years.

g.jpg

I love this wood veneer, but at 100bucks a sheet, it gets pricey fast. It sands and stains and getting good corners was easy peasy.
    It has 3m adhesive on the back and you can't pull it off if you try.
    h.jpg

My neighbor whose not in the best of health (89) just gave me this beauty as a thank you for helping him through the years. I'll never buy another cabinet again.

20180824_170909.jpg

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  12. DavidF

Getting close now but still waiting on countertops. Started putting up new fence yesterday. My dogs are going to be so happy :D.
    I have also decided to knock down the barn. I could save it, but really don't feel like another restoration project. Permits, permits, permits, who would have thought you need demolition permit to take down a old barn? Oh well it wasn't alot of money to get the demolition permit and new building permit;);):D:cool::cool:
    Frigging concrete is more expensive than I was counting on:oops:.
    Oh well, few pics....
    20180917_180747.jpg
    20180929_171755.jpg
    20180930_132158.jpg
    20181006_165456.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Brian likes this.
  13. Jason

Jason Gold

What's concrete running a yard in your neck of the woods? I'm getting numbers like $117 a yard WTF happened to 85bucks a yard?

14. DavidF

$106.00 is the best I have found so far..

15. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Kitchen is looking great.
    That is a nice spread.
    You really need to plan a melt-in, where we all show up in your front yard with our furnaces and have a BIG group melt.

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  16. DavidF

I have enough furnaces stashed away, what I really need someone to bring is a copula (and fuel for it) Then its a PARTY!!!
    Pretty sure I can get away with running one at the farm without getting into trouble with the neighbors> the bonfire where I was burning all the crap from around the farm could remove your eyelashes from 20 feet back and my neighbors response was "Hell yea, that how you do it!" :D

17. DavidF

Hmmm, tractor supply sells 40 lb bags of anthracite coal for $6.29
    Wonder how much I would need to run a copula for a 200 lb melt??

18. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I would guess 4 bags at 20 lbs each bag (of coke, I don't know if you could use coal).

19. DavidF

I think you can use anthracite because its low sulfur?? But not bituminous. Not 100% sure though.

20. DavidF