New member from Alberta, Canada

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Voltar1, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Voltar1

Voltar1 Copper

Hello fellow casters. Just beginning here with much to learn.

Fabrikator and Gippeto like this.
  2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome Voltar!
    What is it that you plan on for a casting project?

3. Welcome! What type of casting do you do?

4. Voltar1

Voltar1 Copper

Started with a candy dish Christmas present that on fourth go achieved about 85% success. Next I want to build Dave Gingery’s metal shaper

Attached Files:

5. Voltar1

Voltar1 Copper

Making progress with Gingery shaper

Attached Files:

Jason likes this.
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

Awesome, this dude hit the ground a RUNNING! And no KOR silly furnace questions.... He's a keeper!:p

Voltar1 likes this.
  7. DavidF

We will see ;):)
    The gingery shaper is one of the most unfinished projects in the home casters shop. It takes alot of time and dedication to finish one to say the least.
    Looking forward to seeing it progress :cool:

Voltar1 likes this.
  8. Voltar1

Voltar1 Copper

Thanks fellas

DavidF likes this.
  9. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I'd say that candy dish turned out pretty darned good for a casting that thin. The as-cast finish from greensand can be a bit counfounding at times.
    You've jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire with that large plate casting. That looks like it came out really nice too. Any warping?
    Welcome to the forum.

Pete

Voltar1 likes this.
  10. Voltar1

Voltar1 Copper

Thank you Pete. Surface finish on candy dish was imo due to lightly rammed sand. It was a ceramic dish borrowed so afraid to over do it. Shaper side zero warpage

11. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Looking good, a very nice beginning! Also, belated welcome to the forum from another Canadian member. :D

Good luck with the Gingery build, those are always fun to follow along with. I keep telling myself to start working on them too but I never got any farther than building the charcoal furnace about 5 years ago because other casting projects keep coming up.

Jeff

Voltar1 likes this.
  12. Voltar1

Voltar1 Copper

Thank you Jeff. A friend of mine put me onto this site and specifically mentioned your stuff. He is an Alberta boy as well
    (Thanks Al)
    Iirc the Gingery series inspired me so much back when purchasing machinery was not happening. Work provided much in the way of scrap aluminum. In approx 15 years my collecting resulted in close to 2000 pounds or better of high grade aluminum mainly pistons. At 35 pounds per it adds up. Anyways your scrapping technique has my interest.
    Anyhow building the shaper is now underway lol

13. Voltar1

Voltar1 Copper

David, you have me curious wrt unfinished shapers? I am not aware of many started let alone never finished? If you could point me to those fellas maybe we could reignite the passion!
    Cheers
    Walter

14. DavidF

Would be difficult to point to any one person.
    I'm referring to what I have seen over many years and many forums. Alot of people come in and make really good progress for awile. Then all the sudden it just gets put on the back burner for alot of different reasons.
    Any which way you look at it, it is quite the undertaking.

15. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I'd hazard a guess and say that all the woodworking throws an anchor in those projects sometimes. Although Gingery lays things out pretty simply, there's a lot of it.
    I actually have a complete set of lathe and mill patterns that I will probably never use. Not for sale but I'd consider a loan.

16. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Wow, 2000 pounds of free(!) pistonium ought to last you quite a while! :D

Check out Makercize on YouTube, he hasn't abandoned his Gingery shaper build yet that I know of... Though he isn't on any of the casting forums to my knowledge. Another guy on YouTube who IIRC goes by Metal Frog there did used to post on the Alloy Avenue forums, and I believe he completed his shaper build. But sadly I can't remember his forum handle!

I've never used a shaper or even a lathe or a mill, but for some reason I find watching a shaper do its thing to be extremely relaxing.

Good luck with the build!

Jeff

Voltar1 likes this.
  17. DavidF

@chucketn a member here and on AA started building one a few years ago. I dont think he has completed it yet?
    Last post was in 2016 on his build. Hope no one thinks I'm being critical. Took me 2 years to get the first cnc mill done and this second one I've been "working" on just hit the 2 year mark..
    Maybe this year is the year??

Voltar1 likes this.
  18. chucketn

chucketn Copper

You're right. I didn't finish it. I did redesign some of the patterns, and acquired a pair of sprockets. Even got one of the side plates cast. Don't know why I set it aside. I might get around to it next summer.

19. Voltar1

Voltar1 Copper

Hi Chuck. Interested in what the redesigned oatterns entail?
    Thanks for posting

20. chucketn

chucketn Copper

The patterns I had were made by a former friend who was a carpenter. He made all his patterns one piece. I remade some of them as multi-piece(forget what they're called). For example, the side plate I made from plywood, added the upper and lower ledges as pinned pieces to make molding easier. Got them cast but never machined them for assembly. Did the same with the ram, but never cast it.