New member, happy to be here.

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Robinson-Foundry, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Hey guys, my name is Seth.

I have been casting in my backyard foundry for going on four years now. Its a hobby I never get tired of.

All of my equipment is home build aside from some of the obvious things like my kiln.

Like many people I started with the terrible "King of Random" plaster of Paris furnace, but quickly moved away from that and built a keg furnace insulated with ceramic fiber, satanite and ITC100.

Primarily I do sand casting in petrobond but I also dabble in lost PLA and lost wax using R&R Suspedaslurry.

Here are some pictures of fairly recent castings. The sword, dagger and Megalodon teeth are sand castings. The Storm Trooper, and decorative bronze statue were cast using the lost PLA method. The Trex skull was cast using lost PLA shell, something I experimented with for some time but I came to the conclusion that it was to unreliable and somewhat dangerous.

IMG_2056.JPG IMG_2628.JPG IMG_2641.JPG IMG_3332.jpg IMG_3380.jpg IMG_3536.JPG IMG_1678.JPG IMG_1733.jpg IMG_1887.jpg Foundry Snip..JPG

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Welcome to the forum. I remember your castings from Facebook. The stylized mask and Trex head. Very well done.

We have a lost wax section and investment casting sub forum.

What are you working on next?

3. Jason

Jason Gold

I remember you. You have a YT channel right? Those teeth are really cool.

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome to the forum!
    Nice work too :D

5. Thank you! I’ll have to check that out.

I’m working on casting some trilobites I sculpted in blender. I printed them in my resin printer and now I’m making the silicone molds. Hopefully all goes well.

6. Yes I do. I remember you too World Traveler. I’ve learned quite a bit from your channel. Thanks for the compliment.

Jason likes this.
  7. Thank you!

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I've wanted to try casting trilos for a while now but finding decent 3d models of them to print is a no go. I saw someone made some bronze trilos a few years back which turned out very well.

9. You’re right, there are no decent models available. I had to learn how to sculpt in blender to make my own. I’ll share the files in MyMiniFactory when they’re ready. Here are the two I made.

I’d like to make some that are sand casting friendly also.

2669A57F-C9A5-4FDD-9610-BCCCCD39AA93.jpeg 3E31E311-4EC4-4F1B-838B-AC651959E8D8.jpeg 602886FC-260E-475A-9E5A-95B1671D02D2.jpeg

Jason likes this.
  10. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Those are very nice models! I'm very impressed with your sculpting on that program. It wasn't intuitive when I tried it.

Here are the trilos the professor guy cast a few years back.

DAllanDrummond_01.jpg DAllanDrummbond_14.jpg

Jason likes this.
  11. Jason

Jason Gold

12. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

I've been subscribed to your youtube channel for quite a while, Seth. Those are some nice castings, a big step up from anything I've seen done by other king of random furnace users. Welcome to the forum!

Jeff

13. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome Seth. Nice work. Looks like you have a nice area set aside for your foundry as well.

Best,
    Kelly

14. Thank you, it’s really tedious but I just work on them a little at a time.

I’ve seen those! They are truly amazing. He has made several different species.

15. Hey Jeff, yes I recognized your name and photo. Hope all is well.

Thanks for the compliment!

16. Thank you! Yes, it’s a nice area to work in.