New to metal casting

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by JobvdBoom, May 7, 2020.

1. JobvdBoom

JobvdBoom Copper

Hi, my name is Job. I am from the Netherlands and i am studying for a mechanical engineering degree. One of my first words was 'tractor' and i have played with lego's a lot.

My father is a welder and at home we have a workshop with all kinds of tools. So afew years back i wanted to build a go kart from an old pedal kart and an old engine we had laying around, i learned to weld and fabricate and everything that goes with it. The go kart was lots of fun, but there is more: i have extended a bicycle (and been declared crazy by my friends :p), built a recumbent, rebuilt a moped engine and halfway built an off-road go kart/buggy. But now i want to build a moped myself and get it registered, and here comes the need for metal casting.
    I want to build a frame using frame lugs, and i preferably want to cast them just like in the olden days (since the moped's desing resembles a pre war 100cc motorcycle). So i researched how to build a foundry furnace and built one close to one that Keith Rucker built. I used 1600 degree celsius refractory so i should be able to melt iron in it.
    My furnace is on a box section frame which i can pick it up and move it with the pallet forks (so i can put it away when i don't need it) the burner and the oil tank are on the frame too making it 1 unit. I only need to attach the compressed air line and plug in the power.
    It runs on oil and it doesn't need any propane to start it up, all thanks to mr Oil Burner's 'instant light' oil vaporizer.
    Some pictures
    DSC_2773.JPG DSC_2782.JPG as you can see it's not done yet, i have fired it up two times already, but i need to find a proper fan and put the insulation blanket around the furnace and on the lid.

I'll stop rambling on because i'm only introducing myself.

Greetings, Job

Mark's castings and Tobho Mott like this.
  2. dtsh

dtsh Silver

Hey that looks pretty fancy!

You sound creative and perhaps a little crazy, you should fit right in!

JobvdBoom likes this.
  3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

....and at least bi/multi-lingual!

Welcome Job. I'm sure there will be early interest in that burner as well.

Best,
    Kelly

JobvdBoom likes this.
  4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome to the forum Job, looks like your well on your way to having a nice foundry built...

JobvdBoom likes this.
  5. rocco

rocco Silver

FWIW, a very high percentage of Dutch people speak or at least understand English. I have a lot relatives in the Netherlands, I speak Dutch poorly but understand it quite well so when we talk, I speak English, they speak Dutch, everybody's happy.

Anyways Job, welcome, we're a gezellig group of guys, I think you'll like it here.

JobvdBoom likes this.
  6. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome Job. As they say in my family "if you ain't Dutch you ain't much." Lol.
    I'd be very interested in seeing what you have going on with that burner. 3 lines coming from the same tank. Interesting.

Pete

JobvdBoom likes this.
  7. JobvdBoom

JobvdBoom Copper

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Thanks! :D

Yes that's true, along with English we also get taught French and German (but those didn't really stick, hahaha).

I would like to share how the burner works, it's no secret, but i don't think i'm supposed to share it here. I will post how it works in 'burners and their construction' later today when i have some time left.

8. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome!

Oil Burner the youtube guy? :D If you ever see someone refer to a "Glumpy" burner, he's the guy they're talking about (that was his screen name when he used to post on the alloyavenue.com forums). It should be interesting to see one of his burners put to use in metal casting!

Jeff

9. He's Glumpy?!?...He was commenting on one of my videos about how I was doing it all wrong or something, so I was ignoring him.

10. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Glumpy! The most entertaining arguments you could have about oil burners... ever!

11. JobvdBoom

JobvdBoom Copper

Yes, Oil Burner the youtube guy. I have seen many videos of people with their own 'vaporizing' oil burner desing, many with those delavan nozzles. I didn't fancy buying one of those, i just wanted to build one with stuff i had laying around at home. Then i settled on that 'instant light' desing (which is indeed very easy to light) that turned out to be very simple so that's what i went for. It works quite well as you can see https://photos.app.goo.gl/kbVrZ4fGUHDL5AS49 This was today and with a fan, though not a very powerful one.

I will share more and talk about the white smoke from the video in furnaces and there construction.

12. Jason

Jason Gold

I was thinking glumpy too. He was nuttier than a shithouse rat!