Newbie from Pa.

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Fasted58, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Fasted58

Fasted58 Silver

Hi all and thanks for the add.

I'm new to metal casting. Although I've wanted to build a foundry since the 70's I never had the time, so finally decided it's now or never. Been a car guy since birth w/ many projects but prefer smaller projects now.

I've been researching builds well over a year and decided on an entry level propane burner and 1/2 keg build. Progress has been slow w/ work, family and life's commitments but it's starting to come along now.

My background is in the trades. Industrial pipe fitter since '81 and boiler operator since '03. I love metal work and fab. Decent little shop w/ MIG, TIG, O/A, I-R air compressor, drill press, shop press, tubing bender, tubing notcher, power tools etc. I can do most hobby work in house but it's been nice to have access to equipment at work.

Great site y'all have here, looking forward to learning metal casting.

I'm in SW PA about 50 miles SSE of Pittsburgh if there are any locals.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  2. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Welcome.
    There is a large knowledge base here (people and posts), and that is quite valuable when one is trying to learn how to cast metal and build a foundry.

You have come to the right place.
    Good luck; keep us up to date on your progress.

Fasted58 likes this.
  3. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hi Fasted58, welcome to the forums!

Jeff

Fasted58 likes this.
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

Welcome aboard. Whatcha wanna make? Aluminum car parts? Bronze naked lady statues? Brass steam engine? What be your poison?
    Start with buying a crucible. It will really help you when you size up your 1/2 keg and when you make your tools. I've been using these cheapies from this seller and have had good luck.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-10-Cruci...4:g:X60AAOSw4a1bUg2j:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true A 10 is probably too big for you in the beginning, so ya might see if that seller has a #6 for starters.

Fasted58 likes this.
  5. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

Welcome Fasted!
    You're in good company here.

I buy crucibles from the same vendor that Jason shared above. They ship quickly & prices are fair.

Fasted58 likes this.
  6. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome Fasted and +1 on the crucible source recomendation. FavoritesUSA is also a reputable eBay seller that is a certified Morgan dealer and competitive prices.

Best,
    Kelly

Fasted58 likes this.
  7. Fasted58

Fasted58 Silver

Bronze nekkid lady car parts, lol

Probably start w/ muffins then move on to flat casting, something like plaques. Planning on a 3D printer here soon.

Thanks for the crucible link, I may buy several sizes to start. Planning on using Quik-Tube form for the ID, they are roughly 8.5 to 10" OD off the shelf.

And thanks guys for the welcome, I like it here already.

Jason and Rtsquirrel like this.
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

Be sure to take photos. The guys here live for lots of pictures. Especially naked lady car parts!:p

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  9. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome Fasted. On my last build I bought a section of heavier guage HVAC duct from a plumbing supplier to use as a form. You won't find it at the big box and it wasn't much more than the sonotube. Plus it was the right dimension! I cut three disks out of plywood to use as center support inside the bore. Make sure to weigh or anchor the center form down so it doesn't float when you install the refractory.

Pete

10. Fasted58

Fasted58 Silver

Been toying w/ a 10" Quik-Tube for the inner form. Reinforcing discs cut from heavy cardboard w/ circle gasket cutter and glued in w/ glue gun. Coated w/ fiberglass resin to waterproof, it oughta work. 1" PVC pipe to keep centered.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thought about a 5 gal plastic bucket (w/ draft) but they look like they may be difficult to remove. I should be able to pull apart the cardboard pieces one piece at a time if necessary.

I'll look at duct if I can find it.

Thanks Petee716

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  11. PatJ

PatJ Silver

That looks pretty good.

Fasted58 likes this.
  12. Petee716

It looks like you've got it under control. Just askin', are you forming your tuyere before you pour?

Pete

13. Fasted58

Fasted58 Silver

Yes on forming the tuyere, that is still in the works though.

14. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Fill the inside of the tube with sand and pack it down before ramming the refractory.
    It will keep it from bowing in on you.

15. Jason

Jason Gold

There ya go. Do I spy a little TIG welding going on there too?

16. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I did not fill my sonotube with sand, and had round spacers in it (about 5 spacers).
    However, depending on exactly how you do the refractory, the sonotube may float.

My first furnace sonotube floated, and it took like 200 lbs of sand to hold it down.
    My second furnace had the sonotube hot glued to plywood, so no floating.

But if the sonotube may float, then the sand in it may be a good idea just from a floating standpoint.
    A waterproofed sonotube with disks in it will not crush inwards if no sand is used.

17. Petee716

18. Fasted58

Fasted58 Silver

Thanks for posting the link Pete. Brian Oltrogge on YT used something similar on his keg, I've been looking for one since.

I was dabbling w/ a laser pointer thingy too, will see how they compare.

I'll take the Easy Button any day.

edit: my laser pointer thingy

[​IMG]

It worked on a flat vertical cardboard test, locating the diameter w/ laser. Not a pinpoint laser (for $3) but compensate the center and it's all good. Haven't tested on the keg or Quik-Tube yet. I'll compare it to the pipe template, oughta be fun.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  19. Fasted58

Fasted58 Silver

Ordered Salamander Super crucibles in sizes A-6, A-8 and A-10 today from JETSTOOLS seller linked above. Thanks guys for the recommendation.

Next step will be sizing a sonotube, cutting cardboard disc reinforcements and plotting the tuyere. Looking to pour the castable in the spring.

Yay, it's some kinda progress anyway.

20. Petee716

If it's not too cold in the workshop you can get your lifting tools squared away in the meantime. Those are projects in their own right. Lots of great examples here and on AA.

Pete

Jason likes this.