Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Jimmy Cogg, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

Hi, my name's Jim. I'm very new to casting but have built a waste oil fired furnace based on a book by Colin Peck http://www.artfulbodgermetalcasting.com/. I'm very pleased with it and just getting to grips with how it works and functions. I've messed about in the recent past with very limited success with aluminium and brass but really want to "up my game" somewhat with lost wax casting. I've found Worldtraveller videos on youtube which have helped me immensely and given me a great deal of inspiration. So it is that I have found myself here. I've got a lot to learn!!! Anyway looking forward to doing a few projects in due course. Cheers and greetings from the UK.
    https://www.facebook.com/JimmyCogg

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome to the forum Jimmy!!

Jimmy Cogg likes this.
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

Dont pay any attention to that clown on YouTube. He doesn't know a damn thing about this stuff. :eek:

Welcome Jimmy. Be sure to post your channel in the thread on general foundry chat. We love photos around here. David has built an excellent site and your work here is safe. No reason go off site. We started THF after the photobucket mess last year.

Jimmy Cogg likes this.
  4. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Welcome! I hear great things about Peck's book. Let's see what you can make!

Lol, in case it wasn't clear, Jason is AKA worldtraveler...

Jeff

Jason and Jimmy Cogg like this.
  5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome Jimmy. No turning back now.

Best,
    Kelly

Jimmy Cogg likes this.
  6. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Welcome Jim.
    This is a good place to be for casting metal.

Photos are always welcomed.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Jimmy Cogg likes this.
  7. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

Welcome Jimmy!

Jimmy Cogg likes this.
  8. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Oh look it's another new Guy!! Welcome aboard! You've gone and done it now..... Caught the liquid metal fever. There's no cure, just a support group. :D

Jimmy Cogg likes this.
  9. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Yes, a support group for the "metally challenged".

Tobho Mott and Jimmy Cogg like this.
  10. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

Thanks for the welcome David. I have a quick question on your investmentcastscroll video of a small machine part that you were casting ( @ 3.56). You used an investment cast powder? What was it that you used please?

11. Jason

Jason Gold

Rtsquirrel and Jimmy Cogg like this.
  12. DavidF

Back then it was Kerr satin cast, now a days I use ultravest from R&R or plasticast if doing lost pla....

Wow look at how the furnace lining looked back then, sure doesn't look like that now....

Jimmy Cogg likes this.
  13. Jason

Jason Gold

I called Rio and they said Kerr is defunct. I was late for the sale when they were cleaning the Kerr out. Read somewhere it expires..... which is total BS. Kept cool and dry, I bet it's good for a decade.

14. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

That would be great for small stuff. I've got a series of about 15 door finials to do for my mum's house and that would be ideal for that. Interestingly, I've just checked the Rio data sheet and all comprises is two forms of silica (quartz and cristobalite) mixed with 20-40% of plaster of paris w/w

15. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

Thanks David. Cheers.

16. DavidF

Not likely. I've had some that was bad the day it arrived on my doorstep. Its gets to where it sets up extremely fast when it goes bad. Like 3 minutes work time instead of 9.
    If left in open air with high humidity it can go bad in a weeks time

Rtsquirrel and Jason like this.
  17. Jason

Jason Gold

Key word... DRY, not florida with 98% humidity. My humidity is high today at 27% :(