north rim view

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by PatJ, Jun 24, 2019.

1. PatJ

PatJ Silver

The weather was fantastic on the north rim today.
    That is a serious hole in the ground.

20190624_131224.jpg

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Weren't you just by Vail? You move quick.

3. OMM

OMM Silver

Just imagine, once upon a time it was filled with water.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

I wonder how much gold is in the bottom of the grand canyon? Probably couldn't mine it anyways. Hell, I can't fly below 10000 feet over that thing. All the stupid tour operators have it tied up. Sat for an hr one day at GCN and you should have seen all the 4ft tall people bumping into each other with their selfie sticks getting on the caravan. It was hilarious. The poor copilot had to stand with everyone of them and do the photo thing. Those operators have that stuff down to a science. It is one SERIOUS money making machine. I computed they CLEAR 30grand A DAY running people down into that hole for a 23minute tour.

5. OMM

OMM Silver

Why, is the Grand Canyon a no-fly zone? I’m working on my ultralight license (Tric). I’m thinking it would be a nice view at 2000 feet.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

NOPE... Forget about it. It's a national park with more regs than you can shake a stick at.

7. OMM

OMM Silver

Do all national parks in the US have this same restriction? Or is it isolated?

8. Jason

Jason Gold

No... most parks allow you to go down to 2000agl... It's just the grand canyon because of all the traffic in there. F-ing tour operators.:mad: SO much for a free country. :rolleyes:

9. OMM

OMM Silver

That is the same with the falls and our nuc plants. Our nuc plants you will have an F 18 bringing you in.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Yup... It's actually in an advisory circular. While not regulation per say, they will hang you by the balls just the same.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) receives complaints concerning low flying aircraft over noise sensitive areas such as National Parks, National Wildlife Refuges, Waterfowl Production Areas and Wilderness Areas. Congress addressed aircraft flights over Grand Canyon National Park in Public Law 100-91 and commercial air tour operations over other units of the National Park System (and tribal lands within or abutting such units) in the National Parks Air Tour Management Act of 2000.

[...]

Adherence to these practices is a practical indication of pilot concern for the environment, which will build support for aviation and alleviate the need for any additional statutory or regulatory actions.

For the purpose of this AC, the ground level of noise-sensitive areas is defined to include the highest terrain within 2,000 feet AGL laterally of the route of flight, or the uppermost rim of a canyon or valley.

11. That view looks awesome!, I may have to check it out on my way to Oshkosh.

I was stick welding at the back my shed and four V-22 Ospreys in US marine livery flew past on approach to the local airport for a visiting bigwig. I later wondered if the welder arc triggered off any anti weapons systems at the time.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  12. OMM

OMM Silver

If you really want to find out... a high power laser pointer will get you attention and a few exciting days.

13. I'm not that suicidal, unlike some dude of Asian appearance I chased away from right under the airport approach path lights flying a DJI quadcopter, he was driving a hire car and it was the week of the G7 summit meeting in town. I'm not sure if he was plain stupid or testing the defenses.

14. Jason

Jason Gold

A holes with laser pointers really piss me off. I got lased many times flying into Austin at night.:mad: I would report it, but I doubt they can find someone in a big city.:rolleyes:

15. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

You are on one awesome trip Pat. I took my kids there about 15 years ago. We started from my brothers house in Phoenix and drove to the Hoover Dam and the to Grand Canyon. Then we drove to Phoenix by way of flagstaff and Sedona. The most picturesque and awe-inspiring drive ever. Another thing that struck me about my tour of Arizona was the amount of absolutely desolate and useless land. The other thing was the overall harshness of the environment, even in the more temperate and forested areas. Way different than the shores of Lake Erie!
    Enjoy.

Pete

16. PatJ

PatJ Silver

There are not a lot of people on the north side, and so the internet was correct on that.
    It is extremely quiet here.
    Stunning views.
    The photos dont do it justice.

And the north side is like 1000 ft higher than the south.
    Lower part of Utah is pretty barren.
    20190624_131222.jpg

17. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Most of my photos are on my camera.

18. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Very international crowd here.
    Super nice people.
    Last night was telescope night.
    They had some 10 ft scopes.
    Jupiter and its moons and storms were clearly visible.

19. PatJ

PatJ Silver

We are going to try and hike down into the canyon today.
    If I dont make it out, you can have my burner and furnace.
    Its extremely rugged going down.

20. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Big sign at the trailhead.
    "Will you be the next statistic?"
    Given the unforgiving terrain and weather, I would say its entirely possible.