Octopus sculpture

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Zapins, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Thanks. I'll get some videos up soon and better pics.

It was pretty cool. I enjoyed my couple days there. He is a very good host and interesting to talk to. Philosophical and interested in many subjects. It also wasn't 100% work like a slave mode either, we went to eat a few times and went for a walk.

I was surprised at how long it took to get the few projects done that I had. I figured we would have finished the boat and started a 2nd one, but the work done was a lot more modest. Haha.

2. PatJ

PatJ Silver

You have talent with the wax.
    I see great things in your future.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Now I would run rebound25 on those little buttholes stuck on a snickers bar. :eek: You are going to need the flexibility big time.

4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Plus or minus finished the tentacle. Not sure if I want to texture the surface or just polish it to a mirror what do you think?

20190224_205604.jpg 20190224_205541.jpg 20190224_031633.jpg

5. Jason

Jason Gold

Going on a boat? Tough call. either way, it WILL turn green. The port holes on my dad's sailboat when it was new were beautiful sand cast bronze. 6months later, green as F. I asked why he never cleaned them up and he said, Why? Point taken. I'd leave em smooth.

6. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Can we see a sample of both?

7. Jason

Jason Gold

lol.. It doesnt work that way Pat. He's got it smooth now and that takes a ton of work.

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hmm. Do you think a gloss finish like Behlen Brass Lacquer or just a buffed wax finish would be best considering the corrosion issue long term? Or just sand bead blasted?

I'll see what I can do with the texture.

Was thinking something like this:
    [​IMG]

9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Something like this.

But the grooves might pick up dirt over time and make it look odd.
    20190225_011507.jpg 20190225_011523.jpg

10. Jason

Jason Gold

That's a good texture, but That's A LOT of work man... I'd leave it alone, that's just me.

11. I'm certain there'd be a highly profitable....ahem.."niche market" for tentacles in Japan.

12. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Zap,

Amazing idea and gorgeous execution.

Denis

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  13. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Oh that is a great idea with the screws. I was trying to figure out how the f I was going to get the tentacles in place. But the wheel spokes would need to be threaded not the tentacles. Then you could easily undo the spokes and slide them out of the tentacles.

I might leave that up to Doug. I am not great with threading things especially stainless. But that makes the most sense. As for securing the body onto the wheel... maybe tensioning the arms is the best option. Simple solutions work best!

I think I'll leave it smooth. The cracks look cool but I think they will fill up with crap and be hard to polish. Maybe I'll make a second octopus for myself and add the skin details. The details don't take long. They took about 5 mins for that patch in the picture. The whole tentacle would take maybe an hour, two tops.

14. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

How did you make that textured surface anyway??

15. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Oh easy. I used the tool on the bottom that I made out of an aluminum rod that I filed down and polished smooth. The left end is fairly sharp like a pencil that has been used a little. It isn't a super sharp tip though, not as sharp as the pin tool. I just use it like a pencil to draw in the shapes then I use the pin tool (top of the photo) to heat and melt the shapes slightly so they don't have sharp edges.
    20190225_234439.jpg

If you like I can film it and post a video?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  16. DavidF

You sir have a lot of patience!

17. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

Have you checked bending the tentacle, will it damage your texture work?

If Squids have 10 tentacles why don't Octopus have 8 octicles? o_O

18. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I'm hoping to keep the wax tentacle warm and bend it very carefully. It probably will mess up texture work and have to be repaired in those areas. I had to space out the suckers so when the tentacle is bent they don't all smush into each other.

What's the plural of octopus? What's the plural of hippopotamus? Dice? Imagagus? :D

19. Jason

Jason Gold

Anyone here ever eat one of these? I had some while in Italy. It was like the most chewy calamari ever. Not a fan.

20. DavidF

No, but alligator is awesome!!