Octopus sculpture

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Zapins, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Silicone tentacles seem to be the rage these days...

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I am also worried about the mold not filling completely. I may have to try brushing the tip of it with wax and then molding the entire thing. Hopefully the wax fuses with itself or I'm going to have problems. Maybe drilling a hole in the tip will allow wax to flow down? though I'd rather not try this first!

3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

In a video I posted awhile back, there was a guy who was pouring wax inside a vacuum chamber where the wax pot and mold were both under vacuum at the same time. Seems like a very good idea, but have to decide where you want to spend your time, repairing wax castings or building equipment?

4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Probably repairing wax. Making new equipment might work but it also might not, but fixing wax definitely will lol.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

That's a lot of little suckers... How many are there zap on that one tentacle?

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I think about 118 suckers all individually made.

7. Jason

Jason Gold

its gonna SUCK if only eight come out.. That was a lot of work to make all those. I think I'm done making free shit for people... I got schooled recently and I'm still a little salty over it..:oops:

8. DavidF

Sounds like a great story ;) <grabs popcorn> :D

9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Oh what happened?

I'm happy to help make the octo for materials cost especially since it's an easy sculpture to change and put the arms in different positions and make more sculptures for myself. Motivation was the limiting factor for me and being 'accountable' for a sculpture helped me sit down and do it.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

You try pouring one yet?

11. We're still waiting on your story. I had to go back and get more popcorn.:mad:

12. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah gonna try it now. Was doing other projects. Had to do fishtank stuff. And collect some live foods for breeding fish.

13. Jason

Jason Gold

and??????? Flush the fish, moving them is a pain in the neck. When I left Germany the first time, I had 17 red belly piranhas... Each one was 3-4lbs. The fish dealer laughed when I asked if he would take them for FREE. So, I drained the tank and we filleted them! (200gal tank) Some went on the grill and the rest in the oven. They were very tasty. I boiled down the skulls and gave them away to my beer drinking buddies. They were really boring as pet fish except when it was feeding time. Buddy down the hall in the dorm kept a snake and bred mice. So I fed my fish live mice. Most of the time they wouldn't touch the mice unless I stuck them with an awl and toss them in the tank. Water would splash and it looked like a washer machine in there. It's wild to watch them tear stuff apart live.

oldironfarmer likes this.
  14. Jason

Jason Gold

Not a good sign.....:( Paging Dr Zap!

15. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Got delayed again. I worked on cutting the grass and fixing up the yard, went to a flea market for rando supplies, and finished a wax lotus flower for the frog sculpture, then spent some time with a friend.

I'll do my best to pour tentacles tomorrow. I must admit I'm sort of procrastinating because I've been filming every step of the molding and making of the tentacle to try my hand at a video series but I haven't felt like setting up the camera in 20 different positions and being all peppy in front of the lens.

I breed a lot of dwarf cichlids which are usually in pretty high demand in the hobby so I don't usually have a hard time finish homes for them. I've been planning out a new fish room with 16 tanks and a reverse osmosis machine with water storage bin. My fish are pretty small, just 2 to 4 inches, so they don't eat other fish or mice. Just flakes, beef heart, worms and brine shrimp. And maybe the occasional daphnia.

16. Jason

Jason Gold

Good to hear man... I was afraid you were drowning your sorrows in a bottle. It takes a ton of effort to build a video when you are doing this stuff. Not at all like the clowns pouring a foam sword on YT making big bucks for the zombies that watch that stupid stuff.

I knew your little cichlids were of flushable size. That's why I suggested it! :p You feed your fish gourmet stuff. When I was out of live mice, I would get a couple of double whoppers at b-king.. (meat only) They also loved raw chicken parts. Does that ever DESTROY your tank! I'd never keep piranhas again, the destroy everything. Hoses, plastic parts, fake plants, fingers...Nothing is safe from these nervous fish when the lights are out. Mine especially liked to eat air stones!:mad:

17. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah chicken isn't good for aquariums. Only beef heart and shrimp. Other meats are too oily and mess the water up bad.

Alright tentacle #1 is finished. It actually worked well. All the way to the tip. Of course I need to fix minor defects but nothing major went wrong and I didn't need to add a vent hole for the trip to fill. I'll demold the first octo head soon. More tentacles soon.
    20190520_181453.jpg
    20190520_182449.jpg 20190520_182503.jpg

I put the first tentacle in place. I'll go back and repair all the damage from twisting it and the casting defects later.
    20190520_190538.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Tobho Mott likes this.
  18. DavidF

I'd hate to be the guy that has to cast that.. lol

19. Jason

Jason Gold

That's a relief... good job man! Lots of tiny suckers...

20. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I really need the wax to be at the right temperature to do this correctly without tearing the wax like I did. I should really make a warming box at some point for projects like this.