Online or Northeast Ohio refractory dealer

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by crazybillybob, Mar 13, 2019.

1. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

The local company that was recommended to me as a dealer that would sell to the little guy has closed up shop.
    I'm looking for some castable refractory to make a bigger furnace. I guess I'm looking for someone Online or in/near Northeast Ohio or Western PA that sells refractory to the little guy. I'm only going to need a couple of bags. Some of the places I've seen online (ebay) want more for the shipping than the product. Any guidance to reputable dealers greatly appreciated.

CBB

2. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Here is the refractory that I use, and a place to purchase it.
    I am not sure about the shipping costs.

Supplier #1:
    http://refwest.com/mizzouplus55bags.aspx

Supplier #2:
    https://hightemptools.com/castablerefractory.html
    Note: I ordered two bags of Mizzou from supplier #2 and received it.
    I then ordered a 20 lb bag and never received it, so I have not used this supplier again.
    The shipping may be cheaper since they can ship in a flat-rate box (check me on this).

Supplier #3:
    These locations are suppose to sell Mizzou.
    https://thinkhwi.com/global-sourcing-centers/

Supplier #4:
    Amonzon was selling Mizzou, but it now says "out of stock".

Supplier #5:
    http://www.lancasterfoundrysupply.com/
    I have found lancaster to be very helpful and have ordered from them in the past.
    The foundry supply houses generally sell large quantities, so if you call one of them, you should be serious about placing an order, and also don't waste their time trying to place an order for something less than perhaps $100.00.
    I have called some supply houses, and they no longer return my emails, and don't want to be bothered by small orders, so try and treat the ones who do cater to us small guys with care.

Edit:
    Another supplier is Hi-Temp Refractory Store on ebay.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  3. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

Would that have been Meiser Refractory in Canton, OH. I've bought from them before, nice guy. There is a Harbison Walker dealer in Minerva, Ohio. Allied is in Columbus, I've talked to them several times but never bought anything.
    I would like to get a bag or 2 of high temp cement, if you need a larger order.

4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Harbison Walker has a distribution center in Cheektowaga Ny just outside buffalo. Give them a call and see if they'll sell over the counter. If so, take the wife and kids on a day trip to see Niagara Falls. You'd practically drive right by the place.

Pete

5. _Jason

_Jason Silver

I'm surprised you can't find someplace in Youngstown or Pittsburgh. There's a little some hot metal work around there.

6. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

I'm going to have to look into the Harbison Walker in Minerva. I drive past the place all the time it's 10 mins from my house. They used to be owned by Summitvile Tile, didn't realize that it changed products, and owners.

7. Fasted58

Fasted58 Silver

Found a HW supplier 1 hour north of Pittsburgh when I was searching for Kastolite 30 which would put it in your ballpark. (name escapes me at the moment). Found on a Yellow Page search for refractories, there's plenty but getting somebody to actually answer the phone or email was the hard part. I ended up approaching a boiler/ refractory supplier just south of Pgh that ordered six bags in... and w/ a fresh born on date. The little guys can get it too... if they wanna.

_Jason likes this.
  8. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I found the guy who runs the delivery truck for a large dealer in this region. Previously on the phone the sales guy was uninterested in small sales and did not know of any way to shop supplies 100 miles to my hometown. Then I learned about the delivery truck from a couple local businesses that buy sand from said supplier. Delivery guy said it’s no problem at all to throw on a few more bags. Just set up a place to meet to take the stuff. From then on it’s been so easy to just get hold of Dave to learn when his next trip (once week more or less) is and place an order with sales. Meet up with Dave and get the refractory materials with NO delivery charge. Saves me 200 miles driving and 2/3 of a day.

As someone else suggested, there are often ways around the initial barrier of “big sale only.” The sales guy’s commission is probably a buck fifty on my purchase....

Denis