Picked up some 75% ferrosilicon

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Mark's castings, Sep 30, 2019.

1. I was in the neighbourhood of an iron foundry yesterday and stopped in for a visit. The staff were really helpful and I was able to buy 8 kilos of 75% ferrosilicon. They mentioned they aim for less than 2.5% content in "as cast" grey iron. Unfortunately the foundry does not give any tours. It doesn't hurt to knock on some doors and ask nicely, they went out of their way to help me.

ferrosilicon.jpg

Tobho Mott, Jammer and joe yard like this.
  2. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

I used to live close to an alloy manufacturer. I never did stop to see if I could buy some. I do still have a bunch of alloys I bought at an auction.

3. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I have been following melterskelter's extensive experimentation with ferrosilicon, and lucky for me he has it pretty much figured out (thanks much for that info melter, we owe you !).
    For my last melt, I think I used 2.5 oz of ferro for about 19 lbs of iron, and I had very little shrinkage, and even the thin parts of the castings were very machinable.

Mark's castings likes this.
  4. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

The key to FeSi I have read and confirmed through early mistakes is add it at the very end of the melt. I skim the crucible as instructed and then add about 5 oz to 50 pounds stirring it vigorously for a few seconds with a graphite rod. Then I pour usually within 2 minutes (and not more than 4). Early on, I added the FeSi to the melt 10 or 15 mins prior to pouring and it did not have the desired effect. Subsequent reading discussed the proper time sequence. Prior to figuring out the timing issue I added fairly large amounts of FeSi to no avail with respect to hardness and perhaps fluidity.

It goes into solution very easily and causes very bright light emission for a few seconds---pretty, really.

Denis

5. Thanks for the comments regarding correct dosage, that advice is priceless when getting started. Apparently it deoxidizes the melt as well as aiding formation of graphite, I guess that will improve fluidity. Will I need to crush the ferrosilicon to a sand-like consistency for the relatively small melts?.

6. Melterskelter

No crushing needed. It melts fast. I use FeSi of about the same granularity. I think that it is melted in the few seconds I stir it.

Denis

7. PatJ

PatJ Silver

FE does appear to help with fluidity.
    It is a noticeable effect visually, but I can't define it scientifically.

Edit:
    I always take great care in order not to damage my graphite stirring rod.
    So for my last melt, I carefully pickup up the stirring rod, let it slip out of my hand, and sheared off the graphite from the holder.
    So much for the graphite rod stir.

I picked up a thin steel rod that I keep on hand for probing the melt (which I seldom do these days), and used that to stir with. Worked fine.

Perhaps I will try a larger diameter graphite rod.
    I think I am using a 1/2" diameter right now.

8. Melterskelter

Here is an article (there are many) on the effect of FeSi on iron.

http://foundrygate.com/upload/artig...on melts poured at different temperatures.pdf

I have used the same 1/2" graphite rod for just a little over a year. It has gradually become tapered as a little graphite must be melted off it with each use. I am sure now that I have said that, it will break next time. I do have a backup. It works better for me than steel which rapidly melts in the iron.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/making-a-graphite-stirring-rod.456/

Denis

9. That article is a good read, Denis. I see that they mention inoculating with silicon carbide lasts for hours compared to ferrosilicon. I'll be using a steel rod stirrer to begin with until I can get some suitable graphite rods.

10. Melterskelter

Yes, graphite is not really necessary. But, the nice thing is a lot of industry uses it, so, it is pretty widely available. Here in consumer paradise ;)(USA) I got some on eBay for cheap. Like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Sti...723106?hash=item28517b3de2:g:xhkAAOSwxPNb0qfI

Denis

11. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

A 5-pack of 5/8" x 12" is $7 at McMaster Carr.$21 for 3/4" x 17".

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/125/3518

Don't think either these or the ones Denis linked to are really graphite (I know it says so but....enough to be a conductive electrode), but hey, they are inexpensive.

Best,
    Kelly

12. I'll have to try the local welding shops and see what's available. McMaster won't sell outside USA and Canada these days but there'll be something comparable. The Salamander Super showed up today so I'll get busy fabricating a gripper/heat shield to suit and then shorten the plinth by an inch with a diamond saw to get more lid clearance. After that I'm ready for another attempt at iron.

13. Melterskelter

I guess I am confused?

Why do you think what I linked is not graphite? That’s the description I read.

Here is Mcmaster’s 17 dollar 1/2 x 6” graphite rod: https://www.mcmaster.com/graphite-rods

Your link takes me to stick electrodes for welding:
    D23C2C54-58C4-41E6-9CC1-CB96FB7BBDAB.png

Denis

14. Al2O3

Because I buy from that same eBay supplier (who I like as a supplier BTW), bought one and compared it to the typical gouging rods.....and concluded that's what it was. You notice they begin their description with Carbon. If it's graphite, why advertise it as a lesser material? They're just marketing practical materials to hobbyists.

I had a section of a broken graphite degassing lance a foundry friend gave me. I made electrical brushes and contacts from it for years. It was denser, stronger, slippery, machined differently, and I suspect was way more conductive than the carbon gouging rods.

Various ashes, charcoal, graphite, diamonds....it's all carbon. Graphite is one of the most stable forms (save diamonds!) so it is reduced more slowly. The carbon gouging rods seem completely unphased in aluminum but when removed are reduced by the oxygen in air while hot. I cant say about iron duty but if you are satisfactorily using that one from Simon, I suspect you would notice no difference with gouging rods. They probably do contain graphite, but wouldn't class them as such. They're cheaper and you can buy them in larger diameters and longer lengths. I'm sure they are a common item at industrial welding suppliers as well.

I cant speak to those. Never bought them. They may very well be graphite.

Best,
    Kelly

15. Melterskelter

Kelly,

I am sorry, but you linked flux-coated welding rod clear as day. I would not want to use that to stir my iron.

I have no doubt that MCM describing graphite rod as graphite is an accurate description as they are the most reliable online vendor of which I am aware. Just like the graphite rod I bought from eBay is, indeed, graphite I can tell you based on my experience.

I would recommend eBay suppliers with lots of excellent feedback as an economical source of good quality graphite.

Denis

16. Al2O3

The link is correct. You didn't scroll down the page far enough to view the carbon-gouging electrodes. There are copper coated gouging rods (second column) too which you obviously don't want but not in the sizes I referenced.

Here's the links to specific sizes I mentioned.

https://www.mcmaster.com/7979a18
    https://www.mcmaster.com/7979a19

Buy a carbon gouging rod and compare....

Best,
    Kelly

17. Melterskelter

Yes, indeed. I said I was confused!:D And I was. (I am just coming out from under a energy-zapping cold) I actually did scroll down a couple pages on the original link, but gave up and did not scroll all the way to the bottom. I think it is a safe bet those uncoated gouging rods would be the ticket. You would expect them to be pretty rugged considering their intended use. As you say, wonderfully cheap. And for our Australian friends, there would be a decent chance of getting them at a well-stocked welding supply----bonus.

Good find, Kelly.

Denis

18. Al2O3

FWIW, these are the same gouging rods that folks drill and use as pyrometer sleeves. If you leave them exposed to at 1800F air they'll be consumed in a couple hours.....ask me how I know :). If you just dip them for a couple minutes, I get 50-75 dips in aluminum before they get thin enough I chicken out. At$1.25 per sleeve that's not bad but you do have to drill them.

It's not the metal contact, but the O2 that attacks them. I think they'd last a long time in metal contact in a reducing or inert atmosphere.

I know folks use them in as a pyrometer sleeve in bronze too. Not viable for iron pyrometer due to lack of a thermocouple that will live except maybe on the very low end so your SOL there MS.

I was thinking the 3/4"D x 17" might make good stir stick though.

Sorry Mark....back to regularly scheduled programming.

Best,
    Kelly