PID controller for kiln

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Perseus123, Feb 4, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Perseus123

Perseus123 Lead

Hi. Wondering if any one can suggest a PID controller around 30$ or less on Amazon for a 10amp 115v kiln.

I know how to setup, I just bought the wrong PID controller that uses DC current which is useless to me.

I have a 40amp relay with heatsink and a PT100 temp probe up to 420c.

Thanks

2. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

Is your relay a mechanical relay or a solid-state relay? The only reason I'm asking is that the contacts in a mechanical relay will wear out a lot faster that the SSR will.

3. Perseus123

Perseus123 Lead

solid state relay

4. rocco

rocco Silver

It might be useful know what you intend to use your kiln for.

5. Perseus123

Perseus123 Lead

Heating.
    Up to 400c is fine. Pt100 probe only goes to 420c

6. Jason

Jason Gold

30bucks is doable. Auber instruments sells some pretty dumb PIDs pretty cheap. Hope you don't need ramp and soak. You'll have to up your budget to around 80bucks.
    https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

They are super people to work with and will get you set up right the first time.

7. rocco

rocco Silver

Put "pt100 pid" in an Amazon or ebay search and you'll find several options. Also consider Auber, they're slightly more expensive but as Jason suggests they are known for their customer service and having English language instructions that are actually readable, the same can't be said for a lot of the stuff coming in from overseas through Amazon and ebay.

Jason likes this.
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  9. Perseus123

Perseus123 Lead

I ordered this one:

Inkbird PID Temperature Controller with Relay ITC-100VH Thermostat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OLOGNQG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_QBAVYH9KQCPADQCB69J4

I hope it’s fine

10. Perseus123

Perseus123 Lead

11. Jason

Jason Gold

That should be okay... You've already got the SSR and a probe.

12. Perseus123

Perseus123 Lead

Thanks. I could have bought a more pricier one if I did not spend the money on the wrong one.

13. Jason

Jason Gold

I know the feeling. Good idea to ask. There are lots of variations on these.

Perseus123 likes this.