Pressurized furnace, and other ruminations

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Alecp, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I'm not exactly sure. I think there is a "winter" diesel that has anti-gelling properties.

dennis likes this.
  2. dennis

dennis Silver

Yes, that's one of the other names for it. It tends to be a bit closer to kerosene than regular diesel fuel.

I wish I could get some in Portland for chain cleaning and other forms of bike maintenance. It would eventually go in the oil tank I'm gathering parts for.

3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Why not just use kerosene? It's an excellent cleaner, leaves a light oil film, and burns great in the furnace.

4. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

I have two propane tanks connected through 2 regulators. The regulators are rated like 175,000 BTU and the burner is 250,000 on propane. Like others here reducing the air flow by simply turning down the blower and the fuel rate got the furnace hotter and quicker too.

5. dennis

dennis Silver

Finding kerosene at a reasonable price verges on impossible in my area. Best I can do is charcoal lighter fluid - which, if I'm careful, is about 4× the price of Diesel fuel.

6. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Why burn kerosene? Diesel is cheap, burns cleanly, available and is nearly identical to kerosene except for additives aimed at fuel injectors etc. I love diesel having burnt probably 200 gallons in 2020. Not a single hiccup in the system.

https://www.kendrickoil.com/the-differences-between-heating-fuels-kerosene-and-diesel-fuel/

Denis

Featured snippet from the web
    upload_2020-12-17_6-53-41.jpeg

Kerosene is a lighter diesel oil than #2, hence why it is designated as #1 diesel. The lighter weight means it contains slightly less energy – about 135,000 BTU per gallon vs. ... Kerosene doesn't contain very high levels of aromatic compounds; they typically get concentrated in the #2 andheavier diesel fuel oils.

7. dennis

dennis Silver

Kerosene is for parts cleaning. Once used, it goes in the waste solvent can. I might process a gallon or so per year.

Would diesel work as cleaning solvent? Odor?

Agreed about the diesel fuel for furnace use. That's intended to be the main fuel, with additions of used motor oil and cleaning solvent when and if available. It's more about simplifying the disposal of such wastes than anything else.

Burning oil, in this instance, is to get a furnace with "too much mass" up to iron/bronze temps...

8. Melterskelter

Diesel will work as a stinky cleaning solvent but leaves a fairly oily residue. But, for cleaning filthy farm equipment motors, as an example, it can be used.

Whatever fuel you use, filter it as the very last thing before the fuel gets to your burner. Having the filter directly (no quick disconnect couplings) connected is ideal.
    Denis

9. dennis

dennis Silver

Stinky would be very bad. It's one thing charcoal lighter avoids, comparatively speaking.

++1 on the filter, or filters. I'll keep the hard-plumbed aspect in mind.

Any brands/types of filters to avoid?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  10. Melterskelter

I use a very simple plastic Napa fuel filter similar to this:

0D96B377-F488-42E8-823C-98CCAD24A1A8.png

Denis

dennis likes this.
  11. dennis

dennis Silver

Looks like a gas/petrol filter. Is it?

Note: there are diesel fuel filters that look like this on Amazon. Some Kubota tractors use them.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  12. Melterskelter

I think mine is designated for “fuel.” ;) I know that diesel vs gasoline distinctions for items can be important—-elastomer products suitable for gas may well not tolerate diesel and vice versa. Fuel pumps are a good example. Some pumps are ok for both but some are not. Care in selection is indicated.

This filter is doing well and has no evident elastomers.
    Denis

13. Alecp

Alecp Copper

I tried a few filters similar to this awhile back, but had to replace it too often. I'm not sure if I was using the wrong type of filter, or if there was too much crap in the oil, either way it didn't work for me. I suspect it was just a regular fuel filter for motorcycles, and the waste oil may have been too viscous for the filament.