Propane Tank Requirements?

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Uglydog, Jul 10, 2022.

1. Uglydog

Uglydog Copper

New guy here, hoping I'm posting in the correct area.

I've been gifted both a Speedy Metals B30 and a C10.
    I'm trying to identify if it's possible to fuel these beasts.
    Looks like Speedy Metal has been acquired by MIFCO. I found a manual for these furnaces at: http://mifco.com/B & C Manual-2014.pdf

Page 4 of this manual identifies that a 500 pound gallon tank is preferred.
    Page 3 explains why (excerpt) below. This is what I've noticed on BBQs. This is perhaps similar to any fire during which as fuel is used the fire goes out (fire triangle).

upload_2022-7-10_7-5-42.png

Wondering if anyone knows if a 100 pound tank will work (I have those)? Note: that a 100 pound tank and a 100 gallon tank are different from each other.
    To figure out how long will a propane tank last you need the BTU content of propane and the BTU requirements. It's helpful to identify that 1 gallon of propane contains 91,500 BTUs. Thus, a 100 pound tank is good for 1,722,350 BTUs BTUs. https://learnmetrics.com/propane-tank-sizes/

The C-10 wants 225,000 BTUs/hour
    The B-30 wants 750,000 BTUs/hour

Dividing the BTUs available in the tank by the demand should give us the max burn time. Please understand that this is at full throttle, and it doesn't take into consideration the flame inconsistencies as end of fuel condition is approached.

If this is accurate then a 100 pound tank fueling a C-10 will provide maybe 7.654 hours.
    The 100 pound tank on the B-30 will provide maybe 2.296 hours.

At todays fuel prices it will be important to optimize utilization of each BTU.
    Can anyone identify if my calculations are correct? I may also choose to call MIFCO and inquire with their tech support. While I may likely start out with propane, I may have to further investigate use of supplemental and less expensive fuels.

Affirmation, Criticism and Redirection are always welcome on my posts.

Thank you,
    Daryl
    MN

2. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

your quote is for natural gas, not propane, that is why it says GAS COMPANY
    other wise you look pretty good, two hours on a 100 seems about right, remember the B30 puts out insane BTU, so it will suck fuel, but you et quick melts ,

definately contact them, to verify if you have a LNG ofrLPG furnace and how to switch it up if you need to

be forewarned, take very good care of the B30, the relining kit for it is $1200 pre covid

V/r HT1

Uglydog likes this.
  3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

You're asking the right questions. When I saw your pictures, I thought it looked like big equipment for the projects you mentioned or for one-man handling. You mentioned a jib crane. Guessing even with aluminum half of those crucibles will probably require lifting equipment. The flasks probably so as well. Did you get molding sand as well? Thought I saw a small muller in the pictures.

The C10 might be a little more reasonable hobby furnace. What's the bore and what do you figure that one weighs? Most hobbyists would like to have the commercial equipment and the space and lifting to accommodate it but they'll eat a lot of fuel for each casting session. In the pictures the furnaces looked like they were set up for natural gas, if so, you'll have an LP conversion too do on the burners to if you want to stay with LP. If you have diesel or waste oil available that may also be an option.

When you get to the point of firing either furnace, do so gently for the first go and slowly raise the temp. Same for those crucibles. You mentioned them being rained on. Even if they have sat for a protracted period, letting them see a powerful burner can cause damage until they are (re) seasoned.

Best,
    Kelly

Uglydog likes this.