Quick 'n Dirty Plaster Coreboxes

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Tobho Mott, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

I posted my Quick 'n Dirty Cores thread over a year ago...

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/quick-n-dirty-cores-for-the-backyard-foundry.8/

...I guess it's time I showed how I make the coreboxes!

Before the core print is attached he's to the pattern, I take a mold of it using Lego, plasticine, and plaster.

A Lego box forms the enclosure for the plaster to be poured into, then I fill up the bottom of the Lego box up to the coreprint's parting line as a sort of follower using plasticine, or some other waterproof substance that can be molded by hand.

image (9).jpg

Then I poke a few holes in the plasticine with something that has a bit of draft on it. The tip of a pencil works pretty well.

image (12).jpg

Then I grease the top half of the core print and the plasticine and the inside of the lego box so the mold will release easily and the enclousre does not leak, and pour the plaster in.

image (16).jpg

Once the plaster cures, I break up the Lego box, remove the plaster and core print from the plasticine, flip over the corebox half, replace the core print in it, rebuild the box around it, grease it up and pour the other half. Once that cures, the corebox is ready to use (once you get most of the grease off it).

image (18).jpg image (17).jpg image (19).jpg image (20).jpg IMG_20160905_205556792_zpsxql2j5sx (3).jpg image (22).jpg IMG_20160910_160913291_zpsw1dkcauu.jpg

Got some video of the process in spite of strange camera troubles:

Jeff

Mark's castings and Rtsquirrel like this.
  2. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

I caught the latest one this morning before work.
    Make do with what you have, right?

My son was wondering why I was watching Lego videos. Had to pull up System of A Lego for old time's sake.

3. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

OMG I just lost an hour because I read that and looked it up... You saw my whale oil burner explosion video and figured out I'm a sucker for stop-motion and did that to me on purpose, didn't you Squirrel? :D (Much appreciated)

Lego is great for this kind of stuff, whether you're talking about the extremely customizable improvised mold enclosures, or, apparently, the stop motion heavy metal minifig videos!

Jeff

Rtsquirrel likes this.