Roots 33 Blower Failure

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by FishbonzWV, Mar 29, 2021.

1. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

Thought I'd show you guys the inner workings of a Roots blower.
    This is from our sewage treatment plant. Probably the original blower from 1975 since this model was discontinued in the '80's. This thing has been running 45 minute on/off cycles for 47 years.

Blower.jpg

2. What's the bet that with a little maintenance like new bearings occasionally, it would still be working today?.

3. FishbonzWV

It did get a pump of grease into the bearings every couple of months.

4. I just binned a very similar fuel drum pump as the powdered metal gears had corroded back into powder again: you could see how the very fine clearances rely on the rotors being synchronized by the gears and any wear would be catastrophic.

5. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I guess that old pump doesn’t owe anyone anything.

Pete

6. 3DTOPO

3DTOPO Copper

That blows. Or blew. Plenty.

What form will it take for its next life?

7. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Always thought they looked best sitting on top a large V8! Work horses for moving large volumes of low pressure air especially if heating of the air is desirable. They're popular here in the Midwest for drying grain in silos. Without an effective silencer on the inlet, they are loud enough to make your teeth rattle.

Best,
    Kelly

8. FishbonzWV

Here's the rest of the story.
    By the serial # it's a '73 model. I was told their usual life was 20 years.

Blower2.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  9. Fulmen

Fulmen Silver

They probably want it back to make sure that never happens again :)

10. dtsh

dtsh Silver

Replace the gears or braze on some new teeth and you'll be set for another 45+ years. :p

11. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Time to melt that sucker...

12. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I wonder which side gave up first. He surviving gear teeth look like they’re in pretty good shape.

13. FishbonzWV

My guess on this...the lobes probably started rubbing on each other causing excess heat which caused them to expand. Then the vibrations finally caused one lobe to break and when it locked up the gear teeth sheared. A Myth Buster's plausible?
    Damn, two beautiful, not a cloud in the sky days. The replacement blower is due in today and it's raining and the temp is dropping.
    I'll be out there standing over the shit pools installing the blower. Don't drop your tools because you'll never see them again!

14. One of the sewage farm dwellers and staff:

garf.jpg

FishbonzWV likes this.
  15. Al2O3

.....and maybe enough gear wear to alter the lobe timing enough to start the process.

Best,
    Kelly

16. FishbonzWV

SOB!
    I ordered a replacement blower from Grainger last year, it's their Speedair brand...don't know who actually made it. Came with a 12 month warranty. The sucker failed yesterday, 14 months of use. Talked to Grainger, sorry, we can give you the number of a rebuild shop or order you another.
    Yeah right, kiss off.
    Ordered a Sutorbuilt Legend today.
    Popped the cover off the gear side, broken tooth locked it up tight, shaft sprung.
    There's wear on the driven side gears, you would think the drive side would wear faster.

IMG_4682.jpg

IMG_4683.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  17. Al2O3

47 years vs 1 year. I guess it just goes to show that there's more that goes into manufacturing reliable machinery than meets the eye. I take it the rotors were in tact?

Best,
    Kelly

18. FishbonzWV

Just by looking down the intake hole, I don't see any damage.

19. Is the newer unit made from aluminium instead of iron?. It's be interesting to contrast the differences in construction like shaft diameter, gears made from softer material or not as thick as the original that contribute to earlier failure.

20. FishbonzWV

The housing is cast iron, the rotors look aluminium.
    I was at the plant the day of the failure. I thought there was bearing noise so I got my stethoscope out and listened to the motor and the blower. The driven gear side had that noise when bearings lose their chrome coating, kind of a slight crunchy sound. I put a couple pumps of grease in and nothing changed. It failed around 3am popping the overload on the motor.

On a lighter note, I was on the back deck and heard a commotion. Out around the garage came a fox squirrel with a mockingbird hot on his tail. That bird chased him around the house actually hitting him in the ass a couple times. Made me chuckle.