Safety thongs

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by DavidF, Mar 16, 2021.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Al Puddle and Tobho Mott like this.
  2. rocco

rocco Silver

Based on that, I'm going to stop wearing my flannel jammies when I pour metal.:p:rolleyes:

DavidF likes this.
  3. spelter

spelter Copper

Just how sensative to sparks some materials are can be surprising too. Ordinarily,I ignore a few sparks when grinding. Then one day I burnt a quarter sized hole in a shirt I was wearing, with the sparks thrown by a Dremel cut-off wheel. No flames, but an ember propagating down each thread. It was a brushed rayon. Worse would be the nitrocellulose garments from the early 20th century. Essentially gun cotton.

4. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

So Stop wearing my sequin speedo under my yoga pants when I pour. I figured that my polyester safety shirt would be enough protection!
    Don't make me take off my "Saftey" crocs!

5. dennis

dennis Silver

Yes, I've burnt holes in garments with grinders - started fires, too.

dtsh likes this.
  6. crazybillybob

Pleas note that my previous Post was made in jest.......
    We all know real men cast in the nude!! ;)

DavidF likes this.
  7. crazybillybob

There's nothing quite like hearing the "POOF" and realizing something's not on fire....It's YOU!:eek:

8. DavidF

Now how many of you thought I meant safety tongs?? Lol..

9. rocco

rocco Silver

No one, we remember this:

DavidF likes this.
  10. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Knew I was doing it wrong. Should I trim up first or just let the sparks bring it in high and tight through natural selection?

Petee716 and DavidF like this.
  11. rocco

rocco Silver

For some reason, this thread is starting to remind me of the Darwin Awards. For those of you who don't know, these awards, "salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who accidentally remove themselves from it in a spectacular manner", most often, they are awarded posthumously.

Here's an aviation related one especially for Jason, https://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2019-04.html

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    DavidF likes this.
  12. Jason

Jason Gold

You know what Pilot stands for. Poor Intelligence, Lots Of Training!
    I'm not really a pilot, but a mechanic that flys. Big difference.;)

13. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I set fire to a fleece jacket grinding a few weeks back, the boss looked less than impressed and gave me a pair of safety goggles?

Yes I can fit into the Darwin catagory sometimes.

Plus side, I have more rags to add to stock pile :)

14. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

One of many I own.

IMG_4109.jpg

15. crazybillybob

I figured it would be more a video with folks casting in sandals (the plastic and foam ones the kinds call thongs). But knowing your favor of the leather safety thong it could have gone either way....But Tongs were no where near it :p

16. DavidF

I just find it hilarious that someone actually made this video. And it's a real eye opener about clothing materials in the foundry too..

17. dtsh

dtsh Silver

Perhaps I've just set myself on fire too many times, but it was nothing new to me. :)

I suppose all the fire training I received so many years ago that I took for granted may have saved me some surprises. I'm sure being a little too enthralled by fire as a boy had a part to play if nothing else.

18. crazybillybob

I have set everything around me on fire several times and my Carhart's haven't burnt.... So I wasn't shocked. One of the times was when that polyblend bed sheet. That my buddy throw under the car. To soak up the water from the melting snow. Burst into flames around me as I welded the exhaust back together. Who knew even soaking wet polyester goes up like gun cotton with a wild spark!

19. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I was surprised at how quickly some of them caught fire. I think I have been extremely lucky! Im getting sparks on me daily in my polyester.