Sand casting Caterpillar track links in aluminium

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Jim Edgeworth, Nov 12, 2020.

1. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

This is as rough as I can get. :)

IMG_3963.JPG

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hate to be a kill joy fellas, especially as the Admin on a casting forum, but IMO, aluminum is a pour choice of material for a track tread, and so is metal in general if this is to be used on a hard surface. It will wear rapidly. It's also an enormous amount of effort for very little return compared to the effort to engineer and deliver the rest of the project. Have you looked into buying flexible tread? I realize it's small compared to what you might think is available but there is actually a lot out there for small ROVs. You could also directly 3D print a mold, hang some aramid fiber if needed (which I doubt depending upon design) in the mold and cast tough urethane versions to suit. Making one mold to do so would be far less effort than casting and machining 120+ metal treads and you would have something very durable you could reproduce as needed.

My 2 cents.

Best,
    Kelly

Melterskelter likes this.
  3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I get filament for $15.00 per Kg.
    I let my printers run un attended while doing other things. So I see the 3d printer as free labor that when investment cast produces a part that is basically finished.
    If you think its a waste of time, then picture your time making up the core boxes, patterns, ramming the mold X# of times, making jigs and finish machining. At the end of the day I would have less labor hours invested with this process.

Now if you want to cut the print time you can make a mold from one of the prints and make wax patterns, but this would come with an increase of material cost and labor.

I've also considered maching a steel mold and using gravity die casting with ceramic cores for the holes.

4. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Here is an example of a purpose-made track about 9 feet long with pavement-friendly and durable rubber faced tracks in a proven design. It costs much less than the cost of A356 ingots to cast a track:

Track2.png
    Denis

DavidF likes this.
  5. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

cant beat that!!

6. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Just for the record, the rollers are also correctly called "rollers" by Caterpillar among others.

Denis

7. Jim Edgeworth

Jim Edgeworth Silver

Hi Kelly,
    The actual tread will be a 5mm thick, 80A urethane pad, so the aluminium will not be in contact with the surface. Yes I could just buy rubber tracks and save myself all that effort, but where is the fun in that. Besides with the Covid 19 lockdown, I’ve got plenty of time on my hands.
    Jim

8. Jim Edgeworth

Jim Edgeworth Silver

A bit too long and heavy for me David, 110lb a pair and 9’ long. I only need about 5’. In case I can’t overcome the casting problems, I m taking your earlier advice and looking again at the design to try to eliminate the undercut.
    Jim

9. Jim Edgeworth

Jim Edgeworth Silver

We will have to send Dennis to the naughty corner then

10. Jim Edgeworth

Jim Edgeworth Silver

Thanks Fishbonz, that helps. I’ll try to draw it up to see if I can make it work.
    Jim

11. Jim Edgeworth

Jim Edgeworth Silver

In case I can’t overcome the undercut problem in a doable manner, as was suggested earlier I’ve had a quick look at redesigning the part. Here is rough draft of my first thoughts, instead of teeth on the sprocket, the two drive/locating teeth are on the track links which locate in sockets on the drive wheel. I haven’t thought this out properly, so other problems may come to light.

Looking at this again, with my sensible head on this time, it doesn’t solve the undercut problem at all so it’s back to the drawing board.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  12. Jason

Jason Gold

lol.... This is ours, it's probably like what you've got. It cost 10grand and it's a piece of SHIT! We have to replace the tracks once a year to the tune of almost 1000bucks.
    My suggestion, pay the man. You aint making these! The real problem with ours is the tracks won't stay tensioned and then they slip.
    When it works, it's a great bit of kit. Makes moving large aircraft by yourself a breeze.
    I'm just glad I didn't pay for it. The owners of our FBO got stupid and it showed up one day.:rolleyes:

20181130_190336.jpg

13. Jim Edgeworth

Jim Edgeworth Silver

Hi Jason,
    That’s one of AC Air’s bigger tugs, looks like a small business jet nose gear on it. If you are having so much bother with it, I’m glad I didn’t buy. To get one over to the UK, shipping is extortionate then add import duty plus 20% on the landed price. Besides it’s more fun this way.

14. Jason

Jason Gold

You'd be better off motorizing s pallet jack instead of screwing with tracks.

15. Jim Edgeworth

Jim Edgeworth Silver

296D1846-D0AD-4AAE-B205-7A13EF257163.jpeg
    Dennis,
    I’ve just had a close look at the Kira track link, and it looks to me like it has the same problem that I have, ie. undercuts at both ends. If the split line is through the centre of the pin holes, then the shallow concave curves will be undercuts. I still haven’t overcome the problem yet, but I’m still looking.

16. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Maybe cores for the pin holes could also form those concavities?

Jeff

17. Jim Edgeworth

Jim Edgeworth Silver

Hi Jeff,
    Being a relative newbie to casting, I’m still getting to grips with the basics and haven’t ventured into anything exotic, like cores, yet. I can cast lumps of metal that machine up to look presentable, but I’m learning. I’ll have a look at combining the undercut shuts with the core pins, but I’m not even sure that 6mm x 110mm pins in core sand are viable.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  18. Sorry I'm late for the party, but from your first pictures I would stand the pattern on edge and put draft on the top and bottom of the link, on the wear surface. In other words put one row of rollers in the drag and one in the cope. Easy casting job because you don't care too much about shrinkage on the wear surfaces.

The complex castings shown later in the thread probably have the undercuts to avoid shrinkage.

I may disagree with Kelly, for limited movement aluminum would work, but aluminum bronze, if you can cast it to machine, would be a good alternative.

Jim Edgeworth likes this.
  19. Jim Edgeworth

Jim Edgeworth Silver

CB05FA4F-D349-4F30-B12B-E37CC3B2AC2B.jpeg
    Hi Andy, thanks for that, your idea works a treat however, I have a couple of questions -
    How do I hold the pin core in the cope? The top face of the tread link has a rim to locate a rubber tread (see photo). This will be an undercut; what can I do about that?

20. You hold the pin core in the cope by running the core down to the surface of the drag, like a swing set with filled in ends. Or you add a cheek with core prints at the cheek to cope joint.

However I question using cores at all. You need to line bore the holes and both sides need to be parallel. Cast holes are difficult to drill off center. I would leave them blank and bore them where I want them.

I really can’t see why the rim is an undercut. Can you kindly sketch a cross section?

Jim Edgeworth likes this.