sand sifter

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Billy Elmore, Mar 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Just happened across this today and thought I would share. Pretty handy way to get all the cat shit out of my molding sand. Yes...I wanted to kill it...but no...I did not kill it.

2. dennis

dennis Silver

Note that Myford is using Bromsgrove natural bonded sand, and hence a Muller is optional (in his case). Sieving acts to aerate this kind of sand...

3. rocco

rocco Silver

Myfordboy's casting videos are on the must watch list for anyone starting out.
    Billy, I know you're not exactly a beginner but you might enjoy watching them anyways when you've got time to spare.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    Tobho Mott likes this.
  4. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I've watched several of his videos and usually enjoy them while learning something. I don't think I've watched one yet that I didn't pick up something. My experience is limited almost entirely upon industrial settings with thin wall cast iron molded vertically. I have some experience with horizontal molding but it too was in an industrial setting. I found the video because I was looking to build something very similar. Almost exactly what I had in mind minus the use of a saw...but now I see how to use my cordless tools in yet another unexpected but brilliant fashion. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to educate people. The cat really shit in my sand though. Had to dump it all out and get into my reserves. Reserves had clay balls I wanted to sift.

5. dennis

dennis Silver

Perhaps plastic (?) bins with lids, so as to keep Kitty from claiming your sand?

6. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Oh...she caught me during a construction phase where I had the front door removed for a few days. I got it sealed back up now. I caught her creeping around the door yesterday...she was mad as hell that I took her potty away. Stupid cat never used a litter box..that is why she stays outside now.LOL

7. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

I had a cat like that about 30 years ago, she crapped everywhere BUT the litter box - maybe they're related.

Her other favorite trick was to try chewing her collar off... then getting her teeth caught under her collar. It was always a lot of fun trying to get an angry cat's teeth un-hooked from the collar.

Billy Elmore likes this.
  8. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I can imagine that was fun...they are toothy critters but the claws are worse!

9. rocco

rocco Silver

Cat bites can be really nasty. Many years ago, my brother broke up a fight between his cat and another cat in the process his cat bite him in the hand, over the next few hours his whole arm turned red and started to swell up, he ended up spending a day and a half in the hospital with an antibiotic I.V drip.

dennis and Billy Elmore like this.
  10. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I was rail-roaded into taking on a cute ferrel cat years ago. He ripped my wife's hand to shreds when she tried to catch him for a vet visit, she still has the scars.

He was just scared took around a year for him to become a house cat of sorts. Sadly his enthusiasm for chasing wild life got him run over in the end. I agree with Rocco, bites and scratches go septic very quickly.

I'm not entirely sure where our current fur ball craps, i'm assuming it's a neighbours garden.

On topic, I struggled riddling petrobond, it was just too sticky, I know this was mentioned elsewhere recently and the mix was relatively new but has anyone else had this?

Billy Elmore likes this.
  11. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

Petrobond is always "tempered" ( in the case of green sand, it is only tempered after water is added ) properly tempered green sand is much more difficult to riddle then dry green sand ,
    petrobond is always difficult to riddle , in a power riddle petrobond will roll into marble size balls and has to be forced through the riddle

now the in depth ; there are three basic tools for sand rejuvenation
    Sand aerator : breaks up lumps of sand generally only a concern in automated equipment sand sitting in hoppers, will compact lower in the hopper

sand power riddle : the riddles primary purpose is to remove debris (normally metal ) in the sand, but it also aerates, fluffs and mixed the sand , making it very uniform, you know that awesome pound of sand under your riddle you use for facing??? a power riddle makes your entire heap look like that , but a riddle does not mull ( redistribute the binders) it will leave small lumps of burnt sand

muller: the muller breaks up lumps of burnt sand recoats the binders on the surface of the sand grains.

in the Navy we mulled sand after every pour , green sand would have just enough water added to keep down the dust if we where not using it again the same or following day
    when we where working with green sand we would mull it again and add water to temper the sand, just prior to use , you tried to limit this additional work by planning as much work together as possible , but basically what im saying is we did not store green sand expecting to use it later without mulling to add water (temper)

we seldom riddled green sand unless it got alot of metal in it

petrobond of course was different you broke out molds directly into the muller , about every third mulling we would move the sand from the muller directly to the power riddle to remove metal, then move it to the mulling bench which doubled as storage

V/r HT1

Billy Elmore, Peedee and Tobho Mott like this.